• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Who Thinks Gimlis The Best

C496

New Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
24
Personaly hes my favorite character a short guy weilding an axe hewing down lots of orcs is cool.
 
He is the best!!!! But you probably only like him because you look like him except w/o the beard which adds so much coolness to him. He's a tank.
 
I really like Gimli, but I'm a bit uncomfortable with the way that PJ has chosen to use him. The aspects of Gimli that I really love in the books- his friendship with Legolas, his deep love of the earth itself (shown most beautifully, in my opinion, when he discovers the Glittering Caves), his "feud" with Eomer, the nearly religous devotion he has to Galadriel- none of these have been featured in the films in the way that I always imagined them. However, I think that Rhys-Davies did an incredible job in bringing Gimli to life.
 
Originally posted by FoolOfATook
Gimli, but I'm a bit uncomfortable with the way that PJ has chosen to use him.
....his friendship with Legolas, his deep love of the earth itself, his "feud" with Eomer, the nearly religous devotion he has to Galadriel....
I think that Rhys-Davies did an incredible job in bringing Gimli to life.
A bit uncomfortable? - Quite a lot I would have thought!
For almost all of his appearances he is made to act the fool, the clown, even more obviously so now in TTT, when in contrast Merry & Pippin have, mercifully, been allowed to grow up, extremely well I may add.
But there are glimmers of hope for Gimli, aren't there? The Legolas link shines through two or three times, again especially in TTT, and the FOTR EE gives him an almost perfect rendition with Galadriel, though it is only for a couple of fleeting moments.
Incredible? Well, I believe it, and, to put it in a perverse way that might please PJ, even when R-D is doing something bad, he does it very well!
 
EHHH, i think Gimli was well portrayed, physically and emotionally by PJ. His sout heart and how he was so high enduranced, besides in the TT, he was made to look like a weak fat dwarf, which was funny too. I also liked how during their hunt he did keep up for a few!!!
 
He is a very good actor. Yes, yes. He kicks butt. But I think Legolas is very cool in the movies. Gimli is probally the best axe guy I've ever read of and saw.
 
Well, at least Gimli's fight scenes are more realistic, JRD tended to actually hit the stunt men orcs with his axes during filming. He stated it was a problem seeing with his prosthetics, make-up, and armor on, but I just think he liked to wield an axe in battle and got a little carried away.
 
His sout heart and how he was so high enduranced, besides in the TT, he was made to look like a weak fat dwarf, which was funny too.

As anyone who's read UT knows, calling Gimli weak is a major mistake.
 
I never said he was, PJ ( to my opinion) made him look like a weaker dwarf cause he couldnt keep up in the beginnging of TTT.
 
Originally posted by LordOfMoria
....PJ ( to my opinion) made him look like a weaker dwarf....
That's more than an opinion - it's an obvious fact!
But you said you found it funny - was that a good thing for Gimli to be?
 
Originally posted by joxy
That's more than an opinion - it's an obvious fact!
But you said you found it funny - was that a good thing for Gimli to be?

I think it is and isnt. It made laughter in an acward moment like hemls deep and at the beginging, it was a quick laugh to draw the audiance in!!!
 
I think you mean to say that Gimli serves as comic relief at the begining of the Helm's Deep sequence, to help ease the tension, rather than calling Helm's Deep an awkward moment. If so, I kind of agree- I fully understand the need for comic relief in serious works of art and literature- Shakespeare used it in MacBeth and Hamlet, for example- but I really dislike the fact that PJ pretty much thinks that comic relief is all that Gimli is good for.
 
but I really dislike the fact that PJ pretty much thinks that comic relief is all that Gimli is good for.


I disagree. His sole purposed of Gimli was not just for a comic relief!
 
Gimli is just an all around Dwarf! He is so awsome as a character. I definately don't think he was potrayed weak in TTT. He was just out of breath... after all he's is a Dwarf of short stature, trying to keep up with a swift and perky nancie of an Elf and a long legged strider. What's a Dwarf to do?

In the book Gimli was some what of a comic relief too. JP just takes a part of Gimli's character in the book and exaggerates (I probably spelled that wrong) it for the movie. I don't think it was degrading to Tolkien's character.
 
I love Gimli
I love dwarves !
They are the best of all Middle Earthers
Gimli seemed the most likeable besdies the hobbits , respectable yet you could like him , wheras with Aragorn and Legolas and all elves and Gandalf , etc . , they seemed above likeable , having admirable qualities ( and looks) but not really warm personalities and they dodnt connect with the rest of civilisation
Just my opinion
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top