Personally, I think
Gandalf would have sliced the W-k like a Salami with
Glamdring. He shattered the
Balrog’s
weapon with it.
Did he? There's a lot going on in that scene, with some mysterious description; in this case:
There was a ringing clash and a stab of white fire.
Whence came the "stab of white fire"? We can say "from the clash of
swords, obviously", but I'd suggest things are, as so often with
Tolkien, not so obvious as they seem. Just moments later, we have:
At that moment Gandalf lifted his staff, and crying aloud he smote the bridge before him. The staff broke asunder and fell from his hand. A blinding sheet of white flame sprang up. The bridge cracked.
Again, whence came
the white flame? From the staff? Maybe; it "broke asunder", so we
could attribute it to Gandalf channeling a huge amount of "wizard-power" through it, "short-circuiting" it, so to speak. But if we bear in mind that Gandalf is neither a D&D "wizard" nor a comic book superhero, but an
angel, we may see things in a different light. For instance, what is the "cry" he gives, as he strikes the bridge? "Shazam!"? "YOLO!"? Or something of the kind? Or is it possibly a
prayer, a calling upon the
Valar -- or even upon
Eru? If so, can we automatically rule out the possibility of "outside force"? As I've mentioned before, there's ambiguity here.
As there is with the Balrog's "
sword", I think. The Balrog is a fire
demon, a seraph like Gandalf, though a fallen one, and the fluid nature of fire is emphasized repeatedly; his fluctuating size, for example, or that source of unending argument, his "wings". My own impression has always been that sword and whip were extentions of himself -- he was able to "extrude" them at need. I could well be wrong there -- it wouldn't surprise me -- but that's the feeling I get.
As for Gandalf's fight with and destruction of, the Balrog, it
could be -- and often is -- taken as evidence that he would have easily overcome the
Witch-King. But again, I feel things are not so simple; that it was an extremely hard-fought battle is clear enough from Gandalf's words alone:
'We fought far under the living earth, where time is not counted. Ever he clutched me, and ever I hewed him, till at last he fled into dark tunnels.'
There seems to be little "slicing and dicing" going on there. To underscore the extreme nature of the contest, we can check The Tale of Years:
January
15: The
Bridge of Khazad-dum, and the fall of Gandalf.
23: Gandalf pursues the Balrog to the peak of Zirak-zigil.
25: He casts down the Balrog, and passes away.
However much time was spent in pursuit, that's still a long fight. And its ending raises another question:
'I threw down my enemy, and he fell from the high place and broke the mountain-side where he smote it in his ruin'.
What has become of the vaunted "wings"? Why couldn't he just fly away? Had Gandalf already "killed" him? Or just stunned him, so that the fall killed him? Maybe it was too cold to sprout wings? More ambiguity.
On the subject of swords, I think the difference lies not in "power-levels", but in
kind and purpose. Glamdring was "made in
Gondolin for the Goblin-wars", as
Elrond says in The
Hobbit, and purposely created for use against
orcs -- and, I would think,
balrogs. But not, apparently, against
Men. The
Barrow-blades were made by Men, and the spells woven into them were specifically designed as "dissolution" spells, if I can put it that way, "breaking the spell that knit his unseen sinews to his will". We can argue about which blade is "stronger", but I can't help thinking such arguments are somewhat beside the point. The natures of the blades are different; does the fact that the barrow-blades don't appear to function as "orc-alarms" make them lesser? I don't know, but they weren't forged for that purpose.
BTW, Olorgando, the ice/fire idea was raised -- briefly -- on this thread from a few months ago, if you'd like to read it:
I've become interested in the making of weapons that could do harm to the Witch-King - like the four daggers (used by them as short swords) with which the Hobbits were armed by Tom Bombadil. How were the Dunedain able to make them? Was it done solely by someone from Cardolan, or was there...
thetolkien.forum