Might_of_arnor
New Member
- Joined
- Sep 17, 2017
- Messages
- 26
Alright so this more along the lines of two questions:
Question 1
i don't understand why structures and objects and even beings were stronger in the first and second age compared to the second age.
Example - helms deep wall (I'm not up to date with middle earth history but keep up with me) is somehow stronger than a wall built in the third age with the best equipment and resources available (presumably helms deep is at least a thousand years old)
Example 2 - orcs in the third age somehow being weaker than those in the first and second age (despite being freshly bred) correct me if I'm wrong but I'm going along the concept of power is stronger in ancient times/ than it is in current times.
Is this just a perception of Tolkien or just the fact everyone and everything is becoming/became Weaker as the ages went on.
Question 2
What if gothmog (lord of balrogs) replaced sauron. Say every happens as it did, sauron makes the one ring and becomes the most powerful being in middle earth, just underneath all of the Valor and his master morgoth at his peak. Now replace sauron with gothmog. What motives or ambitions would gothmog undertake (I don't know a lot about gothmog apart from the fact he is/contested with sauron the right hand of morgoth.
It's just a scenario of what if or what would happen, would middle earth be in greater danger, would gothmog get as far as sauron did (this is all without gothmog having any injuries sustained to him)
From what I've heard gothmog was felled by a great elven lord/King who was also felled by gothmog, yet sauron was defeated physically by a man, albeit the King of numernorians who was 7'11 and wielded great power within his bloodline.
Question 1
i don't understand why structures and objects and even beings were stronger in the first and second age compared to the second age.
Example - helms deep wall (I'm not up to date with middle earth history but keep up with me) is somehow stronger than a wall built in the third age with the best equipment and resources available (presumably helms deep is at least a thousand years old)
Example 2 - orcs in the third age somehow being weaker than those in the first and second age (despite being freshly bred) correct me if I'm wrong but I'm going along the concept of power is stronger in ancient times/ than it is in current times.
Is this just a perception of Tolkien or just the fact everyone and everything is becoming/became Weaker as the ages went on.
Question 2
What if gothmog (lord of balrogs) replaced sauron. Say every happens as it did, sauron makes the one ring and becomes the most powerful being in middle earth, just underneath all of the Valor and his master morgoth at his peak. Now replace sauron with gothmog. What motives or ambitions would gothmog undertake (I don't know a lot about gothmog apart from the fact he is/contested with sauron the right hand of morgoth.
It's just a scenario of what if or what would happen, would middle earth be in greater danger, would gothmog get as far as sauron did (this is all without gothmog having any injuries sustained to him)
From what I've heard gothmog was felled by a great elven lord/King who was also felled by gothmog, yet sauron was defeated physically by a man, albeit the King of numernorians who was 7'11 and wielded great power within his bloodline.

