In terms of
The Lord of the Rings and The
Hobbit, they were very different. As we know,
the One Ring first appeared in The Hobbit when
Bilbo came upon
the ring in
Gollum's domain, yet I don't think the full idea of the One Ring we all hear about in The Lord of the Rings had fully developed. I often say that the One Ring deceived even the reader, and deceived
Tolkien, as in the case of The Hobbit the ring seems to have a very good power. It helps Bilbo and company, and the reader might even come to like the ring and enjoy very much what it does for Bilbo. Notice this, I say the ring. Not capitalized. The One Ring we hear about in The Lord of the Rings, while the same ring as before, has taken on a completely different effect and meaning. In The Hobbit, one might be led to believe that the ring is a force for good, a trinket of power that comes in handy right when you need it. Of course, you might also feel a bit hesitant towards it because Bilbo hid its power, but we certainly don't get the full truth about its crucial role and terrible
Evil until The Lord of the Rings.
The One Ring in The Lord of the Rings, is drastically different. Here is both an external and internal power. The will to corrupt and the power to destroy, this Ring can't be taken so lightly. In the beginning of the book, reading about the ring Bilbo sets in an envelope, or tosses in the air, we might think nothing of it. We might think that it is the same ring as before, and that it is very generous of him to give it to
Frodo. But it isn't till later on, in the
Bag End sequence between
Gandalf and Frodo that we really realize the power and Evil of this
One Ring.
I don't think Tolkien had everything planned out, I think he changed things as he went, and as was often his custom, he expanded what things he had already written. Or, if he did know what the ring would become, he might have kept that in the back of his mind, not wanting to spoil the story for the reader, and quite enjoying deceiving readers of The Hobbit by the ring, just as the ring deceived Bilbo.
As for
creatures of Evil being drawn to it,
Smaug would not have realized what the ring was, yet I don't think. Smaug would have seen the ring much like Bilbo saw it, because the ring had not yet revealed itself as the Ring. We must remember that
Sauron forged this Ring and within it was his very malice and spirit. Therefore, Sauron would be able to conceal the true identity of the Ring, under the guise of a simple ring. We also do not find out about the
Elvish inscription on the Ring until The Lord of the Rings, and I think the reason for that is because Sauron kept it hidden.
When
Shelob, and
the Watcher and the Water see the Ring, they know what it is because Sauron has revealed it. He doesn't need to keep it hidden anymore, and he doesn't. So yes, I completely agree that Old Man Willow, Shelob, the
Balrog, and the Watcher in the Water, fully know that Frodo was bearing it, and why and that is the precise reason that they seem to attack Frodo specifically. I think they were able to sense the Evil since Sauron revealed it, just as the
elves of
Lorien are able to sense that Frodo bears great Evil towards them and hesitate to allow him into Lorien.
Thank you for this post. I appreciated looking over all the different answers, this is a great question that can be answered more than one way.