- Joined
- Apr 9, 2018
- Messages
- 11,365
I am quite sure he was. It does say that their hair was strewn about them like flaxen strands under their light helms, or something like that.
Which did not happen in the book and i have no idea about the theatrical release.. as I haven't seen that version... well since I saw it in the theatre.
That has been a major source of, yes, rage among JRRT book fans. No one (in their right mind) could have expected a 1-to-1-adaptation. The chapter "The Council of Elrond" will remain unfilmable, unless some filmmaker is allowed about an hour's time for flashbacks, while holding up any progress on the "action".
Not sure if you're familiar with the Bachman Turner Overdrive song from their 1974 album "Not Fragile".Still angling for that "Grump" badge, eh, Mr. O? 😅
Not necessarily. imho.The chapter "The Council of Elrond" will remain unfilmable,
Hey,Still angling for that "Grump" badge, eh, Mr. O? 😅
This scene does occur in the book, with Eomer threatening, yet it is because of Gimli's defense of the Lady Galadriel, after Eomer had spoken some untrue thoughts, most likely rumors, of her.
I should have clarified-- I meant it basically didn't happen in the movie. I recall Barliman saying how much he was looking forward to seeing this "cinematic" scene from the book -- and how disappointed he was by the result.The film made a mess of the circling scene -- it basically didn't happen.
I remember hearing about this and being completely shocked. I suppose we all can forget something at times.BTW, on the subject of wearing things, when a letter-writer questioned the idea that the hobbits were apparently tramping all over Middle-earth with bare feet, Tolkien confessed that he'd completely forgotten to mention they'd been equipped with boots in Rivendell.
Even Homer nods.
But of course.
I agree. I loved the sequences in the books where Gimli defended the name if Galadriel. But these days, the only way they would include that is to invent a romance, sadly.But of course.
And that's exactly what they should have put in movies, instead of over-rushing that part, while spending tons of time on some parts that they invented or changed.
That is true, but it would be just the thing that they might invent, and for that reason I am somewhat thankful that they just omitted that part entirely.I don't think that's necessarily so, if the scenes in Lothlorien were handled well, as a set-up.
Somewhere in between imho.Do you think an attempt to capture the spirit of the books and further elaborate and the vision of Tolkien was made at all? Or was in nothing more than another Hollywood attempt to shamelessly cash in on perhaps on the most valued treasure (at least to many) in literature? Or somewhere in between as most things tend to be.
No. There's no way you can capture a spirit if you mutilate so many characters, and scenes - standing a lot of them on their heads compared to the book, all supposedly for the "needs of film". To me, that's just a cop-out for Hollywood's apparent inability to not squash everything into my favorite, grimly stated term "cookie cutter" - which seems to me to be quite a sizable list of "must haves", the kind of list with boxes to tick off as "information" for people who appear to be among the most unimaginative on the planet, media industry suits.
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?