• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Ancalagon vs. Glaurung?

I tend to agree that wings would offer a great advantage. However, have you read the description of Glaurung? That his head could rest on a hill-top? Sounds pretty impressive to me!
 
*cough* punctuation! *cough* ;)
I agree with most. Glaurung's advantage was his girth and physical strength, as well as his hypnotic powers. But I would think he was quite slow and sluggish, whereas a great winged lizard would just jump around and whack old G unconscious. :D
 
woah, one second...
Glaurung would, it seems, have a great defensive advantage due to his massive size, and Ancalagon would not have too much of an advantage in the air.
Ancalagon would have greater mobility, but in order to fight the grounded Glaurung, would have to forgo the wings anyway.
Also, what is the basis of the argument that Galurung wouldn't be able to use spells on Ancalagon? My opinion is that the spells would be based on the strength of Glaurung's mind as opposed to that of Ancalagon, not their status as dragons.
If the fight came down to a simple, head-on collision of mind and body, it seems that the first dragon would have an advantage.
Of course, on any given day, any dragon can defeat any other dragon, it would depend on what tactics Ancalagon would use, and the terrain, and the situation, and teh emotional states of both dragons, etc...
sorry if I took this a little too far,
 
All righty then! I would have to say Ancalagon the Black, Glaurung, Scatha and then the likes of Smaug the Golden.......from greatest to least among Dragons mentioned.

Why 'Scatha the Worm' ahead of Smaug?

The term 'worm would indicate a wingless dragon.

Besides, Smaug is called 'the greatest dragon of his day'......

How far back does that go? To Scatha's time?

Possibly.

Either way, I'd take Smaug.


As far as Glaurung versus Ancalagon, don't forget that Gandalf tells Frodo "no dragon, not even Ancalgon the Black ....could have harmed the One Ring."

This seems to imply that Ancalagon was the greatest dragon ever......

 
Bucky said:
As far as Glaurung versus Ancalagon, don't forget that Gandalf tells Frodo "no dragon, not even Ancalgon the Black ....could have harmed the One Ring."

That's because Ancalagon's power lay in brute strength, whereas Glaurung's in his great cunning.

So even if the hottest fire burned within Ancalagon (as per Gandalf), could that hurt another dragon? This being in response to someone saying Glaurung's spells might not work on another dragon.

Anyway, I agree with dacman. I don't think a fight between these two would have a clear-cut winner.

But if I was cornered I'd put my money on big G. :D
 
I think they're just both soooo awesome...

Cheers,

Úlairi.
 
That's because Ancalagon's power lay in brute strength, whereas Glaurung's in his great cunning.

Well, we really don't know about Ancalagon's spell casting ability do we?

We can assume he had it though.

And really, for the record, I was just presenting evidence, not an opinion....

These 'Versus' threads are too speculative in my opinion.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top