• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Are you Fëanorean?

Are you Fëanorean?


  • Total voters
    32
I'm too much of a people pleaser to be a feanorian. I don't like going against the establishment too much (though I am politically liberal). I guess what I mean is I'm not generally the leader of dissention. There is too much responsibility in that, especially if you are wrong, quick to anger, and hotheaded as Feanor was.
 
Grond said:
Unlike Feanor, Fingolfin's motives were not tainted with evil. The "cause" may be just (in Feanor's case) but the motives were flawed/marred/influenced by evil.

How do we know what influenced Fingolfin's motives? Look at the evidence:
"Ever Melkor found some ears that would heed him, and some tongues that would enlarge what they had heard; and his lies passed from friend to friend, as secrets of which the knowledge proves the teller wise. . . many of the Noldor believed, or half believed, the evil words. . . High princes were Feanor and Fingolfin. . . but now they grew proud and jealous each of his rights and his possessions. . . to Fingolfin and Finarfin it was said: 'Beware! Small love has the proud son of Miriel ever had for the children of Indis. Now he has become great, and he has his father in his hand. It will not be long before he drives you forth from Tuna!'" ~Of the Silmarils and the Unrest of the Noldor, emphasis added

Take special note of the last two passages quoted- Fingolfins words in Finwe's council show that he was just as deceived as Feanor- for Feanor would never have taken the authority or throne of his father (or in any way demeaned him) while Finwe lived, just as Fingolfin was not have conspired to displant Finwe.

I believe that Fingolfin's pledge to follow and obey Feanor was a recognition of his own fault in believing the lies of Morgoth.

Remember too that Feanor was specifically targeted by Morgoth because he wanted Feanor's Silmarils. The result was Finwe's death (which is an incredibly important aspect that lended itself to Fenor's Oath), and the loss of the Silmarils: items 1 and 2 in Feanor's love. Thus, if Fingolfin had been the greatest among the Noldor, if he had created those jewels, he would have fallen, just like Feanor.

That doesn't mean that Feanor's actions were without guilt, just don't think that Fingolfin was all high and pure- he just got less of Morgoth's attention. Of the three brothers Finarfin is least worthy of blame (though it's possible that he too was deceived by Morgoth), because he repented and returned to await the judgement of the Valar.
 
I agree that Fingolfin was influenced by Melkor but it also reffers to all other Noldor: To Fingolfin and Finarfin it was said: 'Beware! Small love has the proud son of Miriel ever had for the children of Indis. Who told Fingolfin and Finarfin? I don't think it was Melkor. The other Noldor were corrupted by Melkor and thus the words reached Fingolfin and Finarfin. So I think that all Noldor were influenced by Melkor, ever Indis's sons.
I don't think Fingolfin could create the Silmarils. Fëanor was born to create the Jewels. His mother died because Fëanor was too powerful. He just used her energy when he was born. The death of Miriel and Fëanor The bearing of Fëanor consumed the spirit and body of Miriel. Fëanor was doomed to die.
Remember that Finwë was father of Fingolfin and of Fëanor. I would say that Finwë's death influenced Fingolfin to follow his brother.
However, I think that Fingolfin was more patient, more polite, less temperament that his elder brother.
 
though feanor could have been a great elf, he insisted on causing repeated death and destruction. The making of the silmarils was a huge mistake in the first place, but then when they were stolen he made everyones problems worse by swearing that god awful oath of his,which caused most of the elf on elf slayings.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top