HLGStrider
All Knowing Magic Cat
- Joined
- Dec 17, 2001
- Messages
- 7,750
And you can still be annoyed with people who do like her and completely ignore the existence of any other female characters, even though they do a lot more.
I find Arwen's passive approach to life very unappealing, annoying, and downright dull.
And I like my characters flawed and pro-active and psychologically complex so I can have fun writing essays on them.
Arwen Vs. Eowyn the cat fight! who would win
of course arwen is a bleh! character and Eowyn is a very deep character that one can relate too.
I don’t find that among Tolkien’s most inspiring writings.
I am reminded of similar complaints for much the same reason from generations of readers of Walter Scott’s Ivanhoe, readers who far prefer Rebecca to the staid and conventional and mostly unknown Rowena.
There are more kinds of fighting than painting yourself up with woad and running around screaming blue murder- You can be pro-active and still sit prettily at home (under a stupid canopy if absolutely necassary). I'm not a physical activity kind of girl, which I freely admit and have the flab to prove, but I am still pro-active, I still try to make a difference, to make my own mark instead of passively sitting back and letting stuff happen to me. And you argue- 'fight'- on behalf of the things you believe in. Arwen annoys me not because she was ladylike, or obedient, or whatever, but because I am driven mad by her complete lack of any apparent wish to do anything. If you don't like your situation then go out and do something about it! Sitting around languishing and being weepy doesn't accomplish much (except maybe some embroidery).
Not only that but she's also Elrond's daughter. As we know, Elrond was known and respected throughout Middle-earth. For thousands of years he was one of the main foes against Sauron, and people knew this. He was also considered one of the most wise in lore. Plus, she was the little sister of Elrohir and Elladan who also were known as stalwart foes of the enemy and his agents.but we don’t see the reasons she is revered, other than being, it appears, extraordinary beautiful.
Originally posted by HLGStrider
But do you know for a fact she wasn't proactive? We know she made a standard. We know she traveled before Aragorn. We don't know if she did afterwards.
Yes he did! I have his rookie card.But Beethoven never got his picture on a bubblegum card either...
I don't really think this is true, but I'll resist the urge to hijack this thread and go in to a long explanation of my interpretation of Eowyn's situation. See, I'm going good.Eowyn was very lovely too. Probably more than one man was attracted to her but didn't approach because he was on a differing status level
I didn't follow this...It's not the fighting in and of itself, it's the doing-something-proactive, as opposed to passively letting events be controlled by other people. Maybe I'm just too bossy to like Arwen.However, I think the fighting thing is just as shallow as the beauty thing. It's like a man coming into a house, plopping an orc's head on the table and asking to marry the daughter of the house on that merit.
See above. I have essays about this stuff (must...resist...hijacking...thread...)I don't find Eowyn's fighting to make her more likeable. I think it makes her more interesting, but not likeable.
Nope. Or sympathetic (geeze, handsome wonderful guy falls in her lap, and oh look, he happens to be a king, how nice!). Like I said, good in a person, not good in a book character.Arwen probably isn't very interesting.
Good point. It occurs to me that after the above mentioned shallowness, I am required to hate you. But it's nothing personalAnd of course being the world's most beautiful kitten, I know I'm prettier than Arwen (anyone who denies it gets hit with a pencil sharpener!)
Maybe you should read my previous post. The facts of Middle Earth are that Aragorn could not reach Arwen's standards. Elrond was not out of line to require Aragorn to get the kingship to marry Arwen. It was his right as an Elven Lord with an Elven princess daughter because humans are NOT worthy to marry an elf. Arwen was far higher than Aragorn ever could be just because she was an Elven princess. She had eternal life, she was over a 1000 years old by then. Aragorn's only hope was that he was from the line of Numenor, a line started by Elrond's own brother. The point of their union is a testament to Arwen, not Aragorn. She lowered herself and made the incredible sacrifice of mortality for him when he had no right to even encroach on her to think about it.Originally posted by Elfhelm25
In my mind it was just more fitting to have had a character for Aragorn that fitted his abilities , even just with very strong contrasting qualities. the fact was, in my mind, Arwen ( from what we knew )didn't measure up to Aragorn. She did nothing that we knew of that made me think, Now THAT is a powerful couple. She reminded me of a beautiful shadow to Aragorn, and that wasn't what i was looking for by the end of Return of the King. Aragorn had become so much, and Arwen had done nothing.
In my mind it was just more fitting to have had a character for Aragorn that fitted his abilities , even just with very strong contrasting qualities.
She did nothing that we knew of that made me think, Now THAT is a powerful couple.
Aragorn had become so much, and Arwen had done nothing.
She was prolly too boring to write about in detail.
and in my opinion that makes it all the more interesting to discuss them using today's standards.
Being a superior being you would think she would have been developped...well, as superior then!
A whole 'nother cauldron of aquatic beings...*fights impulse to hijack thread* We'll have to have a conversation about this later...Feminism grates on my nerves, for one thing, even when it has a point.
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?