To figure giant eagle size by his weight:
The best single shape I can find that fits closest to a eagle with his wings in is called a prolate spheroid. The formula to figure out the volume of such a shape is 1.33333 x 3.14159 x half its length x half its depth x half its width = volume.
Enter the eagle size you want to use as a basis.
After you have the volume, divide the weight of your eagle by the volume. This will give you density - how much your eagle weighs on average per cubic inch.
Now divide the weight of your hypothetical giant eagle by that weight per inch.
Now you know how many cubic inches in size your giant eagle is. You can use ratio that you used for your real eagle to figure the length, width, and wingspan of your giant eagle.
Here I will estimate Thorondor's weight and height based on his wingspan of 180 feet.
In a real eagle of 34 inches he may be at 7 feet wingspan. So wingspan is roughly 2.5 times the body length in a real eagle - why not a giant one? This is not like weight per length. As
Thorin already figured Thorondor would be 72 feet in length. Using my original sample eagle of 34 inches long and 8 inches across, and maybe Thorondor could have a chest of 16 feet across. I tend to think the chest ratio I have been using may be too small (I originally figured it without taking folded up wings into account), but I haven't found better numbers to use yet. The real thing here is the wingspan and weight anyhow. That, along with height will give a good enough indication of size IMO.
So if Thorondor is 180 feet in wingspan and 72 tall - what is his weight?
Well, my base eagle says .0122877 for density so I'll multiply that by Thorondor's volume of 115811.67156, and we have a 1,423 pound bird. Variations in density will drastically change his weight, so will tweaking the chest width. There is margin for error in his weight. For instance lets say the volume is off a little and the bird is actually .017297 pounds per inch instead of .0122877, then Thorondor would be 2003 pounds. And if Thorondor can lift as much per his weight as a bald eagle he could have carried half
the shire to
Mordor!
The smaller
eagles of
the Third Age could have varied. I guess its up to each reader to imagine them whatever size he likes. I played with some numbers the other day for fun, but unlike Thorondor its all wild guesses.
Now someone else can figure the eye cone thing. I don't know about
Gwaihir and crew, but
Manwe's big time
First Age eagles are said to see to the depths of the sea and basically through anything other than the immediate shadow surrounding
Morgoth's lair. So however many the cones, they were plenty...
