• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Can anyone help explain what "The Omen" plot hole means?


I've been trying to understand why there are bones in the two graves in the ruined cemetery?
If the anti-christ cult wanted to cover their tracks by setting fire to the hospital and destroying all the records, then why didn't they put the bones into a box full or rocks and drop them into the middle of the sea, or into a deep hole in a forest. Why were they put in marked graves that could one day be uncovered, potentially endangering Damien Thorn. This makes no sense...

...unless, it is a deliberate plot hole.
As a grave is sometimes called a plot and which also happens to be a hole. If it is intentional I'm wondering if anyone knows the reason for the use of this intriguing story device?
Kind of like the sausage [law] making thing ... you really don't want to look too closely at how some things are done.
This includes horror movies.
Just enjoy it for the chills and thrills.
 
Last edited:
why didn't they put the bones into a box full or rocks and drop them into the middle of the sea,
Maybe the body of Damien's jackal-mother would have to be treated with reverence by the devil-worshipers: the ceremony of a proper demonic burial. And, burying the innocent child right next to it could be an act of demonic arrogance: they had no fear of failure.
 
OK... a possible "in universe" answer that corresponds very closely with what @Eljorahir posted... except the universe is not only the story's universe; it's the entire occult/supernatural universe of the cursed/damned .
So , first let me make an analogy ** ...
Remember the question that always comes up about LOTR (but is typically asked by those who have never read the books), to wit: Why didn't one of the Eagles just take the Ring and drop it into the cone (the top) of Mount Doom?
Ans: because ME is governed (like all realms) by a Ruler (or Lawgiver).
And the Lawgiver said: "Nope... can't do that, at least not this time and in this situation." And that was that.

So likewise (mutadis mutandis) the damned world/realm is also governed by laws, however twisted and perverted they may be.
One of the laws may be that the dead, when formerly involved, willingly or no (as Gregory Peck's infant son was), in infernal rites and practices, have to be buried in separate graves in profaned graveyards.
I don't pretend to know those rules, nor do I have any desire to become acquainted with them in the least.
Just saying that the real life Wiccans in our times have their rules and rites, much as the Druids did more than 2000 years ago.
So it makes sense that in a story about the supernatural and the damned there there are going to be associated rules an rites that have to be observed, even if they are not understood, or hidden, from mere mortals.
Just my 2 cents.

** For those who read my responses in other threads... I'm building a clock, OK? 😉
 
Last edited:
I logged on today to delete this subject as I believe I figured it out, and it's really sick. DRAT!!! Sorry guys I couldn't see up ahead as to what the answer could be.

So if you still wish to know why there is a deliberate plot hole in The Omen then think about the film's director and the choices he makes on where to draw the line on censorship and decency, even in a story about a child born of a jackal.

Now having said this, I think this particular plot hole is still a very clever way of defusing some icky subject matter. Like breaking the fourth wall and telling the viewer, hey, it's not real, it didn't happen, it's only a film.
...He says, while he walks, whistling, past the graveyard....
 
Last edited:
I've never given the Eagles role much thought. In the introduction to The Lord of the Rings, Tolkien says he made some major and minor mistakes. Whatever they may be, I just roll with it.
I've often thought it had something to do with Tolkien's wartime experiences, the Eagles being like America's late arrival to the big show.
Yep always late for a war 😄... WWI started in 1914... we show up in 1917.
WWII starts 1939 , we join the party in 1941.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top