• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Daughters name in Tengwar

Mitch8726

New Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2024
Messages
1
I am looking to get my daughter’s name tattooed in Tengwar to mark her 1st birthday. Just wondering if anybody could help me check what I got from a translator. Her name is Penelope. Also looking at getting my wife’s name later in then month for our wedding anniversary. Her name is Joanne.
IMG_3133.jpeg

IMG_3135.jpeg
 
@Glorfindel Goldtress has been practicing her tengwar recently. Though you might have to wait until the weekend for her to show up. I'm sure our other language experts can share their own knowledge though.
(Ahhhh, you tagged me?! As a language expert?! 😳 *Coughs* Anyway...)

I am looking to get my daughter’s name tattooed in Tengwar to mark her 1st birthday. Just wondering if anybody could help me check what I got from a translator. Her name is Penelope. Also looking at getting my wife’s name later in then month for our wedding anniversary. Her name is Joanne. View attachment 36415
View attachment 36416
Penelope looks correct to me. It follows the proper formatting of the Common Mode of Tengwar for English.

Joanne, however, looks odd to me. The first part of it appears correct, but the rest of it matches up not. J and o are done correctly, but then the a is given the double instead of the n. When a consonant is being doubled, the wavy line should be drawn underneath it, not above it. To preface this, here's how I would translate Joanne without the e at the end.
Joann:
1727043105052.png

(In this font, the consonant doubler is a relatively straight line underneath the Tengwa for n; it is wavier normally.)

Joanne with the e has an additional notation. It contains an "overbar" at the end because there is a preceding n sound to the final e, indicating such is the last phonetic produced when speaking it. (When you speak the name Joanne, you don't pronounce it Jo-ann-nee, you say Jo-ann. The overbar indicates the last sound stops at the n.)
Here's how I would translate Joanne:
1727042886741.png

Compared to the previous Tengwar for Joann, the wavy/straight line is no longer directly underneath the Tengwa for n, as it juts out. Also, the overbar (vertical line) is perpendicular to it. And of course, e is represented the dot underneath the Tengwa for n.

Here is Joanne in the font you prefer:
1727042940838.png


Hope this helps!
 

Today's events

Back
Top