• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Did 🧝Galadriel yearn for the Undying Lands for her daughter's sake?

CirdanLinweilin

The Wandering Wastrel
Joined
May 13, 2016
Messages
1,493
We all know Galadriel is the grandmother of Arwen, through her daughter marrying Elrond the half-elven, and sadly we know what happened to her poor daughter, and that she sailed to the west.

I can only imagine the Long torment her mother's heart suffered being separated so long from her daughter. Do you think as the wind turned and the curtain began to close on the elves' time in Middle-earth, that she began to truly and deeply desire the Undying Lands over anything else?

I guess we can assume the same for Elrond himself, but the heart of a Mother is whole another Lioness.

Thoughts?

CL
 
We all know Galadriel is the grandmother of Arwen, through her daughter marrying Elrond the half-elven, and sadly we know what happened to her poor daughter, and that she sailed to the west.

I can only imagine the Long torment her mother's heart suffered being separated so long from her daughter. Do you think as the wind turned and the curtain began to close on the elves' time in Middle-earth, that she began to truly and deeply desire the Undying Lands over anything else?

I guess we can assume the same for Elrond himself, but the heart of a Mother is whole another Lioness.

Thoughts?

CL
oOoOO once again you my friend always shine a new perspective on things!

My thoughts for this instantly jumped to the one direct reference by name to Celebrían in FOTR. The passage in question is when Galadriel and Aragorn are speaking before the Fellowship leaves Lothlórien. I'm totally not forsaking my studies to find it lol.

Anyway, Galadriel gives Aragorn the Elfstone, saying, "'This stone I gave to Celebrían my daughter, and she to hers; and now it comes to you as a token of hope...'"

To this Aragorn replies, "'For the gifts that you have given me, I thank you... O Lady of Lórien of whom were sprung Celebrían and Arwen Evenstar. What praise could I say more?' The lady bowed her head, and she turned then to Boromir..."

What I am about to do is really read into that bowing of her head and what it could mean. First off, however, I'd like to point out Aragorn has never met Celebrían before, and here he is singing her praises. Most likely this is through knowing the rest of the family very well being raised by them (apart from Arwen who he met later, as you certainly know) of whom Arwen Celebrían's daughter he loves the most, which makes this all the more important. The Elfstone Galadriel carries she passed on to Celebrían who passed on to Arwen who must have at some point returned it to Galadriel's safekeeping for Aragorn (if anyone knows when this occurs, I would love to know!). Carries a whole heritage worth of importance, it does. I don't quite see how this connects to the mother's heart of Galadriel this discussion is centering on, but note Aragorn's response to the gift! He is praising Galadriel not for her wisdom, not for her graciousness to him and the Fellowship, not for setting him up with Arwen (interjection: I always found this part of App. A's The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen super hilarious, Grandmother Galadriel matchmaking!), not for any mighty thing she has done as an Elf of Valinor... but he praises her for being a mother. And grandmother. He asks, rhetorically, what higher praise could he offer. And Galadriel bows her head. She has nothing to say because there is no more to say than what has been said. I take this as evidence she is a mother first and foremost in heart beyond all her power and foreknowledge and everything else beside that she is/has. She bows her head in recognition and reverence of this fact... and in sorrow for the long years of separation from her daughter across the sea and for her future separation with her granddaughter (at this point remember, she has passed the test, resolving to diminish and sail into the West-- where she will reunite with her daughter).

Anyway, I'm not sure how to conclude, but it is quite clear to me Galadriel's motherhood is prized above all else by herself, and Aragorn has understood this. These are just my initial thoughts...

...And back to studying!
 
oOoOO once again you my friend always shine a new perspective on things!

My thoughts for this instantly jumped to the one direct reference by name to Celebrían in FOTR. The passage in question is when Galadriel and Aragorn are speaking before the Fellowship leaves Lothlórien. I'm totally not forsaking my studies to find it lol.

Anyway, Galadriel gives Aragorn the Elfstone, saying, "'This stone I gave to Celebrían my daughter, and she to hers; and now it comes to you as a token of hope...'"

To this Aragorn replies, "'For the gifts that you have given me, I thank you... O Lady of Lórien of whom were sprung Celebrían and Arwen Evenstar. What praise could I say more?' The lady bowed her head, and she turned then to Boromir..."

What I am about to do is really read into that bowing of her head and what it could mean. First off, however, I'd like to point out Aragorn has never met Celebrían before, and here he is singing her praises. Most likely this is through knowing the rest of the family very well being raised by them (apart from Arwen who he met later, as you certainly know) of whom Arwen Celebrían's daughter he loves the most, which makes this all the more important. The Elfstone Galadriel carries she passed on to Celebrían who passed on to Arwen who must have at some point returned it to Galadriel's safekeeping for Aragorn (if anyone knows when this occurs, I would love to know!). Carries a whole heritage worth of importance, it does. I don't quite see how this connects to the mother's heart of Galadriel this discussion is centering on, but note Aragorn's response to the gift! He is praising Galadriel not for her wisdom, not for her graciousness to him and the Fellowship, not for setting him up with Arwen (interjection: I always found this part of App. A's The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen super hilarious, Grandmother Galadriel matchmaking!), not for any mighty thing she has done as an Elf of Valinor... but he praises her for being a mother. And grandmother. He asks, rhetorically, what higher praise could he offer. And Galadriel bows her head. She has nothing to say because there is no more to say than what has been said. I take this as evidence she is a mother first and foremost in heart beyond all her power and foreknowledge and everything else beside that she is/has. She bows her head in recognition and reverence of this fact... and in sorrow for the long years of separation from her daughter across the sea and for her future separation with her granddaughter (at this point remember, she has passed the test, resolving to diminish and sail into the West-- where she will reunite with her daughter).

Anyway, I'm not sure how to conclude, but it is quite clear to me above all else Galadriel's motherhood is prized above all else by herself, and Aragorn has understood this. These are just my initial thoughts...

...And back to studying!
I LOVE your thoughts. Aragorn (and Tolkien as an extension!) really puts it perfectly. And I love that Galadriel honors that praise herself. What a high honor! By Aragorn and Tolkien both! Thank you for this!


CL
 

Similar threads

Back
Top