• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Did Ringwraiths Botch Murder in Bree?

Was the scene of Ringwraiths stabbing empty beds in Bree loyal to the book?

  • Yes, it went something like that.

    Votes: 12 60.0%
  • No, some thugs from town did it in the book

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • I never really thought about it

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Book, what book?

    Votes: 2 10.0%

  • Total voters
    20
  • Poll closed .
I'll drink to that. Parrot can bring the Moose Drool.

:p That was good! And perhaps we can serenade you under the stars (wintery stars at the moment) next to the sagebrush and cows? And perhaps we can add a couple Grizzlies?

And I'm still waiting to see what you have to say to DGoeij. ;)
 
Mmmmmmm.......Moose Drool........
sayeth the great Philosopher Homer
"To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!"
Careful, Nenya; "Grizzlies" is a dirty word in Aragil's neck of the woods.
 
A close friend of mine was in Montana last year and bought me a case of home-grown Montanan Moose Drool Beer. I drank one bottle and used the rest to take the rust off my lawn tractor which had rusted over during the rainy season. :);):D
 
Grond, I think that all that Cajun shine has killed your taste-buds; didn't I warn you about that stuff?
 
Aragorn put that brown mat thing on Frodo's bed to look like his head- Ringwraiths are blind practically- did he do this knowing someone like Ferney was going into the room?
Why did the Nazgul attack Cricklehollow if don't like buildings with lights etc.
What was a ringwraith talking to (Ferney) about when Merry saw them?
Why did the Ringwraiths keep talking to people?! Hamfast, Ferney...
:confused: Too many contradictions!
 
Originally posted by Grond
A close friend of mine was in Montana last year and bought me a case of home-grown Montanan Moose Drool Beer. I drank one bottle and used the rest to take the rust off my lawn tractor which had rusted over during the rainy season. :);):D

I don't even know to respond to this. Moose Drool is clearly the modern day equivalent of the ancient Greek's "nectar of the gods". Like Parrot says, anybody who sees this differently has clearly been going a little too heavy on the Kai-yen peppa.

Nenya- Grizzlies? RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

Galadhwen- I suspect that much of the inconsistency regarding the Nazgul stems from the fact that JRRT did not have a clear feeling for who they were when he originally wrote the story up till Rivendell. Later on, when he 'realized' that the Black Riders were in fact the Kings of Men whom Sauron had enslaved with Rings of Power back in the second age, Tolkien did not go back and completely re-write the opening bit. Because of this we have one Nazgul battering down the gates of Minas Tirith late in the story, and another Nazgul coming within a few feet of Frodo earlier in the story and then just wondering off (No wonder Sauron was mad at them).

Dgoeij- read UT (whenever you find it), it has some fantastic stories, with the 'Hunt for the Ring' just being one of them. I think we agree that there is no true answer here, but that shouldn't stop us from making up our own minds as to who did it.
Abe Lincoln was one of our first presidents to be celebrated for a truly 'modest' (i.e. poor) upbringing. One manifestation of this was a series of common sense sayings he'd used to spout, one of the most famous being "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". I thought this fit in well with the Nazgul thread, so I threw it in.
 
Originally posted by aragil
...One manifestation of this was a series of common sense sayings he'd used to spout, one of the most famous being "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". I thought this fit in well with the Nazgul thread, so I threw it in.
Yea Aragil... but how many times did the Nazgul have those Hobbits, err, ummm I mean birds in their hands???? and yet they always (and I mean always) came away empty-handed. LOL ;)
 
To my fellow Montanans: Grizzlies? Yes, grizzlies! :p I haven't run into any myself yet, though I've been semi-around them for years. And I also haven't tried any of that Moose Drool. ;)
 
Originally posted by aragil
Dgoeij- read UT (whenever you find it), it has some fantastic stories, with the 'Hunt for the Ring' just being one of them. I think we agree that there is no true answer here, but that shouldn't stop us from making up our own minds as to who did it.
Abe Lincoln was one of our first presidents to be celebrated for a truly 'modest' (i.e. poor) upbringing. One manifestation of this was a series of common sense sayings he'd used to spout, one of the most famous being "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". I thought this fit in well with the Nazgul thread, so I threw it in.

I've read parts of the UT, about the Istari and the Disaster of the Gladden Fields for instance. Indeed very interesting and great fun. I'm pretty sure it's in that pile underneath my desk, the one where I lost my Battleship model (scale 1:1).:rolleyes:
The 'whodunnit' question doesn't need to be answered IMHO, as long as I enjoy going over all the details. I thank you for disagreeing with me.:D And also thanks for the explanation on Lincoln's saying. We have one here that is rather similar, although we talk about 'ten in the air'.:) I knew he was from a rather 'common' background, but never heard of these famous remarks.
 
Originally posted by DGoeij
And also thanks for the explanation on Lincoln's saying.
People were saying that a bird in the hand is worth two in a bush for centuries before Lincoln's time, and are still saying it 150 years after his time. He isn't exactly renowned for saying it: there's one a bit more famous isnt there? - something to do with four score and seven years ago?! :)
 
Dissin' my homey Aragil? Man that "Ticks Me Off!" :mad: :mad:

(Joxy, to clear up any confusion, "Dissin' " is Americanalizationistic-coloquialismistical slangualism that means, liberally or figuratively, to simplicitly "disrespectinate" on someone)

added in edit: before anyone even says it, I know "coloquialismistical" is actually spelled with four l's, nobody's purfect.
 
Last edited:
Originally posted by Parrot
Dissin' my homey Aragil? Man that "Ticks Me Off!" :mad: :mad:

(Joxy, to clear up any confusion, "Dissin' " is Americanalizationistic-coloquialismistical slangualism that means, liberally or figuratively, to simplicitly "disrespectinate" on someone)

added in edit: before anyone even says it, I know "coloquialismistical" is actually spelled with four l's, nobody's purfect.

LOL!!! ;)
 
Originally posted by joxy
People were saying that a bird in the hand is worth two in a bush for centuries before Lincoln's time, and are still saying it 150 years after his time. He isn't exactly renowned for saying it: there's one a bit more famous isnt there? - something to do with four score and seven years ago?! :)

I understand it isn't Lincoln who invented it. :rolleyes: But sometimes it takes a president to make something famous. How many men haven't said, before: "I did not have sex with that woman!", and will be saying it until the end of times?:D
 
Originally posted by DGoeij
But sometimes it takes a president to make something famous.
How many men haven't said, before: "I did not have sex with that woman!", and will be saying it until the end of times?
I've learnt something then?! In the US Abe is famous for talking about birds with wings, and Bill for talking about birds with ****s?
And the expressions are irretrievably linked to them? News to me..
 
Originally posted by Parrot
(Joxy, to clear up any confusion, "Dissin' " is Americanalizationistic-coloquialismistical slangualism that means, liberally or figuratively, to simplicitly "disrespectinate" on someone)
Hey thanks, but I knew already; Marshall Mathers told me.
 
posted by Joxy
thanks, but I knew already; Marshall Mathers told me.
WHAT???? HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! What does that geeky Leave it to Beaver guy know about being "down" with the street? Word! Yeah, I can almost see it now......
*nasal inflection*
"Gee Wally, Eddie kinda dissed you when he asked Mary Ellen to the dance, knowing you were planning to give her your letterman's sweater and all! Maybe, we should get Whitey and Lumpy and the rest of the Posse together and bus' a cap in his ass! Ya think?"
 
Last edited:
Leave It to Beaver was a 60's family comedy starring Jerry Mathers. Parrot just got the wrong Mathers. :);)
 
Wrong Mathers?! Frankly, I have no idea what you guys are talking about, who this Marshall guy is, or why he likes candy Enimas. There may be a slim chance I am wrong but the whole thing seems a little shady to me!

(okay, I knew the Leave it to Beaver ref might be lost on Joxy and our other European friends but sometimes you just have to run with it)
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top