• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Dobby and Gollum; The Whomping Willow and Treebeard

Originally posted by Niniel
I thought Gollum looked a lot like Dobby; Dobby was supposed to be cute but also a bit nasty, while Gollum was (in the book) only nasty, but in the film also very cute at some points. The Ents were perfect IMO.

In reply to Niniel, looks can be very decieving. Looks are where the resemblance ends though. That is all.
 
From what I have seen of HP2 (which is just the previews) that willow tree thing sure it can do damage to a car but i would like to see it move and crush a stone wall as thick as that car...yeah right like that will happen....and about dobby...his head looks like a football(an american one) with ears, it makes me want to punt him. :D Gollum could take Dobby any day...and Treebeard could run circles around the willow thing.

-Flame
 
Originally posted by Flame_of_Anor
From what I have seen of HP2 (which is just the previews) that willow tree thing sure it can do damage to a car but I would like to see it move and crush a stone wall as thick as that car....
and about dobby...his head looks like a football
You'll see it bring down all its weight in a way that would crush any stone wall that happened to be anywhere near it!
A stone wall as thick as a car?
The WW would probably be evenly matched with Treebeard, but it looks much stronger than those stick insects that PJ passes off as the other ents.
Gollum's head looks like one also:)
 
i can't see how anyone can complain about gollum. he is the most realistic and amazing visual effect i have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!! i don't get it?!?!?
 
Originally posted by ladyoflorien
I can't see how anyone can complain about Gollum. he is the most realistic and amazing visual effect I have ever seen!
That's because no-one IS complaining about him. He is done pretty well, and in fact is one of the best features of the films.
He's not perfect though, and not the most realistic, and certainly not the most amazing,
effect I have ever seen.
He tends to look two-dimensional at times, whereas Dobby's appearances so far have been as three-dimensional as a two-dimensional medium can allow!
 
joxy, have you tried having your eyes looked at? your depth perception might be off. j/k:p but seriously, Gollum looked realistic most of the time, but dobby didn't. you could tell that he was a cg.

The WW would probably be evenly matched with Treebeard, but it looks much stronger than those stick insects that PJ passes off as the other ents.
I still didn't see the WW running around the grounds.

A stone wall as thick as a car?
I will have to find out how think the Ring of Isengard was...though those British cars are quite small so there is a possibility that it was the same thickness.

-Flame
 
Originally posted by Flame_of_Anor
....your depth perception might be off. j/k:p but seriously, Gollum looked realistic most of the time,
....but Dobby didn't. You could tell that he was a cg.
I still didn't see the WW running around the grounds.
My perception is the same as yours about G - I said he is done pretty well and is one of the best features of the films. You say he is realistic most of the time - so, we agree!
You're not saying he does not look cgi, though, are you?
Of course one can tell Dobby is cgi, and G too!
It's just whether one lot of cgi is as good as the other; I rate D's higher, despite the vast amount of money, time, and effort put into G and Serkis.
Yes, there is a drawback about the WW being rooted - though it makes a considerable effort to get at the boys!
However, I'd have found the ents, advancing on Isengard, throwing rocks, and breaking dams, more believable, and, frankly, less pathetic and comical, if they had been built more like the WW and less like bundles of firewood.
 
joxy, your thoughts are your own...:p that is for sure. If you look at what types of trees were portrayed by PJ then you might see where they got the designs for them. here is a list of what they were:
Treebeard was not stated as a certain type
Ash
Beech
Birch
Lindon
Willow
Rowan

two are fictional so i don't know if you can picture them...but if you goto www.theonering.net they had some high res pics of them a while ago. you may have to do some digging.

-Flame
 
here is the pic of the willow.

-Flame

EDIT: Picture was deleted to save on attachment quota
 
Last edited:
When I watched HP2 the first time I said to myself that tree is made of plastic. It looks totally like plastic. I don't ever remember Gollum or Treebeard looking fake. LOTR:TTT also won the award for best visual effects and I agree they should have LOTR:TTT most always looks real but HP2 half of it you can tell is fake.
 
Originally posted by Flame_of_Anor
Joxy, your thoughts are your own....
Ash
Beech
Birch
Lindon
Willow
Rowan
....two are fictional....
What do you mean, about the thoughts?:)
That you don't agree with me, that the ents, other than Treebeard, look like bundles of firewood?
If by Lindon you mean Linden, then that's another name for the Lime, so none of them is fictional.
So, what do you mean, about the fiction?:)
And are you serious, that all the bunches of firewood don't look the same to you, that you can make out which variety is which?:):)
 
Originally posted by S & R Gamgee
HP2.... that tree is made of plastic.
I don't ever remember Gollum or Treebeard looking fake.
LOTR:TTT also won the award for best visual effects....
....HP2 half of it you can tell is fake.
Pretty heavy plastic that fights a car, and makes a good stretch at crashing down on the boys.
They ARE fake; don't you mean you don't think they re badly made fakes? If that's what you mean, I agree with you.
Awards, schmawards!
Give us some more examples of (badly made) fakes in HP2?
 
I feel as if this discussion has officially lost any motive for me to continue...so i am bowing out of this conversation. See you all later.

-Flame
 
Originally posted by Flame_of_Anor
I feel as if this discussion has officially lost any motive for me to continue.
Three little questions too much for you?
 
Like when the kids were flying alot of the times you could tell that was fake.(or at least I could)
 
i could totally tell that was fake. i almost cringed when (in HP 1) neville longbottom was falling from the broom that went bonkers! that was really bad! i still am in love with the books in the movie and i still say there is no comparison bewteen HP2 and TTT.
 
I think they are both unique in their own ways I don't think they should really be compared. But they are.
 
Originally posted by S & R Gamgee
....they are both unique in their own ways I don't think they should really be compared.
There's an awful lot in common between the two pairs of films; maybe it's just coincidence!
It's interesting to compare how well, or badly, the coincidental features are done: two wizards with long beards, two trolls, two small animated creatures, violent trees, balrog and basilisk, variations on flying.... I think the more expensive films lose out on all of them.
 
(This may have been said already, but) I think the Whomping Willow is more like Old Man Willow.. basically non-conscious, more like a demonic or posessed tree who's mad at everybody.. Like the Wh.W. :)
 
wowzerz!

I tink that Dobby was waaaay 2 computer animated.....I mean, he didn't really look like part of things, u know? Like, Gollum wuz quite computer animated 2, & those things can't be helped, but I tink that Gollum looked much more realistic than Dobby. And, Dobby wasn't a very realistic character, & Gollum is. Ma bro would like 2 say that quote: "they didn't do a very good job on Harry Potter, they couldn't help it". So I totally agree- HP is the more childish version of LOTR......IF u can even compare them. (there's sumthin' Ian Mckellen said that I totally agree w/.....) some of it wuz I think, that he hopes people will grow up and go see the more mature version....NEwayz, there'z ma thoughts! :p

LOTRfan2 (PS-Juliez, do u agree w/ me!?)
 

Similar threads

Back
Top