• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Elfhelm: A Rohan native?

Ok, thank you! But what Marshall? I know Éomer was third and Theodred was second so what was he?
 
I believe (could be wrong here) that Elfhelm became the Marshall of the Westmarch after Theodred passed away. There's a good bit in UT 'The Battle of the Fords of Isen" which explains the entire military structure of Rohan, along with the various Marshall positions and who held them during the War of the Ring, but I don't have access to them right now.
 
I'm at school right now, but I happen to be re-reading UT, and have it with me! :)
From UT: The Battles of the Fords of Isen: Appendix A
In the days of Théoden there was no man apointed to the office of First Marshal. He came to the throne as a young man (at the age of thirty-two), vigorous and of martial spirit, and a great horseman. If war came, he would himself command the Muster of Edoras; but his kingdom was at peace for many years, and he rode with his knights and his Muster only on excercises and in displays; though the shadow of Mordor reawakened grew ever greater from his childhood to his old age. In this peace the Riders and other armed men of the garrison of Edoras were governed by an officer of the rank of marshal (this was Elfhelm).
 
Thanks! Although, I hate to keep asking questions, but, with the rank of Marshals (when Theodred was alive) was this(?):

Elfhelm
Theodred
Éomer
 
I think the UT quote explains that there was no First Marshal in the days of Theoden. In that case, Theodred would be the ranking Marshall, then Eomer, then Elfhelm (who would then be fourth or lower- not sure if Erkenbrand was also a Marshall).
 
I think Eomer was also referred to as a Lord. Don't think that precludes status as a Marshall.
 
Back
Top