Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.
Register
Hi! I'm no expert, and I'm not commenting on the rest of the example below, but the last four words (in the last two lines) in the following picture is how I would write:
estelio han estelio veleth
Not counting the one dot at the end of the 5th line, nor the four dots at the end of the 6th line.
These marks appear to be punctuation, and for that (if you want punctuation) I'd check:
Yes, your example appears to be written in the Mode of Beleriand, and I agree with that example
in that mode. As Amanya Tenceli explains (generally speaking):
"This “antique S[indarin] mode” is a mode of quanta sarme (“full writing”), meaning that both consonants and vowels are written with tengwar."
For myself, I like the look of the Mode of Beleriand, but it's up to you of course.
So both are right, but they are just a different type of Sindarin and the Beleriand one basically changes the vowels right? Cuz when I checked the Tengar table, I couldn’t find myself with the initial “e”, because it was transcripted as a “y” in Sindarin, so it makes sense.
I personally like the Beleriand version better, it seems a bit more regal.
If I wanted punctuation, I would just add a little dot in the middle like there is in your version, right?
The example I posted was the first one I found, and I actually didn't expect to find a Mode of Beleriand version "out there". For the vowels in this mode, you can also check out Tolkien's illustration of the Dwarf-doors in the chapter A Journey In The Dark.
If you wanted something like a comma and a period, I'd suggest the one dot -- "mid-height" --
for a pause like a comma, and also the two dots at the end. The two dots are seen on the Doors, for example, and the mid-height dot can be seen in a transcription of Sindarin text in The Road Goes Ever On.
I sometimes use 🐾 to end my posts.
I don't think Tolkien ever used the "double paws/pause" however
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.