• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Favorite new authors

I've read a lot of Tamora Pierce's stuff... I believe I started with her Alanna series.

A new auther I've been enjoying a lot is Paul Stewart & Chris Ridell's The Edge Chronicles. They're one of those post-harry potter british fantasy series for young adults, but they've got so much imagination in them and are written and ILLUSTRATED so well I'd dare to call them the cream of the crop of what's been coming out for young adults in recent years. There's seven books out in the USA now:

1. Beyond the Deepwoods
2. Stormchaser
3. Midnight over Sanctaphrax
4. The Curse of the Gloamglozer
5. The Last of the Sky Pirates
6. Vox
7. Freeglader

http://www.randomhouse.com/kids/edgechronicles/
 
Talierin said:
I've read a lot of Tamora Pierce's stuff... I believe I started with her Alanna series.

Hmm. That was one of the series which I just couldn't get into. I did find the Lady Knight series intriguing, and I haven't read any of the Circle series' in a while. Maybe that's something I could do when I have the time. So Violanthe, try reading either First Test (Lady Knight series) or Book 1 in the Circle Opens series, I can't remember what the title is:rolleyes:
 
Tamora Pierce is pretty big as a pre-teen fantasy author--I'm sure some of her books are available on audiobook. I wouldn't call her a new author, though--I think she's been publishing since the mid-80s. I read the Lioness Quartet and enjoyed it, but not enough to re-read it (and I do re-read a lot). I enjoyed her Protector of the Small series much more, until the fifth book when I lost interest. I outgrew her writing style pretty quickly, I think, and considering how young her target audience is (8-14) I wasn't always comfortable with some of the characters behavior, especially in the Lioness Quartet.

Elbereth made a good call on Gregory Maguire--I wouldn't call him a favorite, but he is a solid new writer. I just read The Decoy Princess by Dawn Cook and really enjoyed it--she has another series that I haven't read, but I believe she's a pretty new writer.
 
Jasper Fforde. Jasper Fforde is a relatively new writer, and his books are delightful.
 
Surreal. Clever. Funny. Literary. The Thursday Next books take place in an alternate universe where people are obsessed with books, Shakespeare is regarded as a mega-pop star, and someone has invented a machine that allows you to enter books. An evil mastermind uses it to kidnap Jane Eyre from her book and hold her for ransom. At one point there's a Rocky Horror-esque performance of Richard III. It's fabulous.
 
Lisa Carey. However, at the moment, I love Dan Brown and Philip Pullman.
 
Thanks, I'll look him up at my library.

What about Lisa Carey have you been enjoying, Narya?
 
Violanthe said:
Thanks, I'll look him up at my library.

What about Lisa Carey have you been enjoying, Narya?


In the Country of the Young. Her Aisling is one very eeerrrriiieeee character. Plus I love the way she told the story, the descriptions almost made me smell the harbor. Plus I am in love with Ireland. So anything Irish will melt me away. I love the irish folklore incorporation in the story and the way she introduced her readers to it.

Love it. Still have to get Mermaids though. Glad to see someone who knows her here.
 
Jasper Fforde is a funny funny man. The Thursday Next novels are the best! Skip The Big Over Easy though, it's rubbish, I didn't even make it all the way through it.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top