• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Video Game Gollum Game updates

Many gamers say that it's not technically up to snuff, but I don't really care by now, since I rarely play anyway.
I like the design and the atmosphere quite a bit in the trailer. And I like these sneak games, being a big fan of the Thief series. What comes across rather less well for me, however, are the jump & run interludes. They don't look particularly fluid and believable yet either. I would also find a first-person perspective better than the 3rd person view. But these are rather minor issues.
The most important thing for me would be that they create an atmospherically dense, even very creepy gameplay with a good story.
Many articles and statements about the game are unfortunately rather negative, so you shouldn't set your expectations too high.
 

I thought this was an odd bit of news when it broke.

What comes across rather less well for me, however, are the jump & run interludes. They don't look particularly fluid and believable yet either.
I agree, I suppose they didn't do the animations in mocap and that lead to this looking this odd. (Not sure how it all works though)
For a creature that small to be that fast and make those leaps.
Don't think I've played a stealth game with what's basically a midget before.
 
I'm sure this will be a train-wreck...

Source

Was just about to post an article about this too

It's looking somewhat hopeful in this vid broski.

Only ten days left, beta gameplay looks surprisingly fine.
the usual stealth mechanics, movement looks okay.
Only worry so far is that I can't find anything about the review embargo.
Wonder if they will have multiple endings with all of the choices you can make, and would like to see more of these original characters.
A blind elf is intriguing, don't know if there are any in canon.
 
Launching today, reviews are dreadful
1685008977867.jpg
 
I'm currently watching a Lets Play of it. 🤓
What annoys me so far is that they couldn't make the facial animations better - is that really still so difficult these days?
 
Last edited:
Just seems to cost a fair amount of money.
Hiring a mocap studio probably costs a pretty penny, might also be why some devs/publishers choose to sign an exclusive contract because they've got in-house tech.
Callisto Protocol comes to mind, partnered up with Sony to use their studio and ended up with some of the best facial animations in the industry, shame the remainder of the game was a bit of a letdown.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top