• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Halloween Songs 🧙‍♀️

I posted Vincent Price's "Monster Mash" in the Halloween Movies thread, but here's Craig, miming a classic from the Bonzos:
If you want to hear the original, without all the laughter:
 
Last edited:
I'm sure you would creep some people out (especially if they don't know you're there), if you started chanting the Wight's incantation.

Cold be hand and heart and bone,
and cold be sleep under stone:
never more to wake on stony bed,
never, till the Sun fails and the Moon is dead.
In the black wind the stars shall die,
and still on gold here let them lie,
till the dark lord lifts his hand
over dead sea and withered land.
 
I've got a couple that are good.


Most videos I watch during Halloween have good music. Trick or Treat with Donald Duck and nephews, Garfield Halloween, Dancing Skeletons by Disney. There's a series of Ghost videos that a cute on YouTube:
Danse Macabre... to get that particular kind of grating "off sound" requires using a slightly de-tuned violin.
The musician playing the solo part (if he/she is also a regular violinist in the orchestra) has two violins immediately at hand-- the regular one, and the de-tuned one, and uses whichever is called for at the moment.
It's fascinating to watch the rapid switching back and forth. I saw this performed at a High School orchestra concert.
The violinist was the concertmaster, who is not only First Chair of the Violins but also of secondary importance right below the conductor.
 
Night on Bald Mountain by Modest Mussorgsky
A little history about this work (taken verbatim from Wikipedia)** .... (I just love this work for its "musical supernatural menace" 😬)
In using it in Fantasia (from which the YT screen caps are taken), his 1939 animation tour de force, Disney stuck pretty close to the musical story as intended by the composer (which wasn't always the case....cf. Rite of Spring and Dance of the Hours in that movie)

**Composition history​

In 1866 Mussorgsky wrote to Balakirev expressing a desire to discuss his plans for The Witches, his informal name for his Bald Mountain music.[7] In early June 1867, he began composing the orchestral version of the piece. ... Mussorgsky described the piece in a letter to Vladimir Nikolsky:

So far as my memory doesn't deceive me, the witches used to gather on this mountain, ... gossip, play tricks and await their chief—Satan. On his arrival they, i.e. the witches, formed a circle round the throne on which he sat, in the form of a kid, and sang his praise. When Satan was worked up into a sufficient passion by the witches' praises, he gave the command for the sabbath, in which he chose for himself the witches who caught his fancy. So this is what I've done. At the head of my score I've put its content: 1. Assembly of the witches, their talk and gossip; 2. Satan's journey; 3. Obscene praises of Satan; and 4. Sabbath ... The form and character of the composition are Russian and original ... I wrote St. John's Eve quickly, straight away in full score, I wrote it in about twelve days, glory to God ... While at work on St. John's Eve I didn't sleep at night and actually finished the work on the eve of St. John's Day, it seethed within me so, and I simply didn't know what was happening within me ... I see in my wicked prank an independent Russian product, free from German profundity and routine, and, like Savishna, grown on our native fields and nurtured on Russian bread.[9]


 
I can't believe nobody's put Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor in here yet! I was enjoying listening to it on my drive home from school earlier. One of the few Bach pieces I really enjoy listening to.
I associate it with building giant bedrock walls around a castle in Minecraft. Since I was listening to it while doing that, quite a few years ago. 😂
 
I can't believe nobody's put Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor in here yet! I was enjoying listening to it on my drive home from school earlier. One of the few Bach pieces I really enjoy listening to.

Yep...it's also typically associated with the deranged character from the Phantom of the Opera movie(s) (not the musical); playing the Bach piece.
Someone help me out with this.... was this what Captain Nemo (James Mason) played ** in the Disney movie 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea?

**Yes, a pipe organ on a submarine, but not just any submarine. This is the Victorian decor appointed Nautilus 🙂

1729638419040.png
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top