• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Halloween Songs 🧙‍♀️

Yep.
Apparently, he was really playing it.
That is great! Thanks for posting it.
Yes, I was watching the playing of it closely.
My first thought was: They will show Nemo's face in the mirror, then cut to the keyboard and show just the hands playing it.
But then the camera backs away and you see James Mason really "playing it".
This may be addressed in a Movie Triva (e.g. IMDB), but I wonder if he was "playing the keyboard" but the actual music played by someone else was dubbed in.
 
Maybe EA should change the thread title to "Halloween Music"? Oh well this one at least is specifically a "Carmen":

Though not "Halloween music", it's been heard for years in front porch speakers, as well as cheap horror movie soundtracks (including, I confess, from me, when I used it while assembling music for a theater showing of Metropolis). People associate it with horror movies so much that they "remember" first hearing it in The Omen, even though the music was actually by Jerry Goldsmith:
There's no doubt Goldsmith was familiar with, and influenced by, Orff, of course. 😃
 
Though not "Halloween music", it's been heard for years in front porch speakers, as well as cheap horror movie soundtracks (including, I confess, from me, when I used it while assembling music for a theater showing of Metropolis). People associate it with horror movies so much that they "remember" first hearing it in The Omen, even though the music was actually by Jerry Goldsmith:
There's no doubt Goldsmith was familiar with, and influenced by, Orff, of course. 😃
That music for The Omen.... did you hear those "four notes" from the Dies Irae?**
It's through-out out the first few minutes very noticeably, as almost a counterpoint, but it's also in the later parts passim.

** Dies Irae "creepy music"
Watch the middle video about the "creepy music". There's a list of all the movies where the Dies Irae is used .
I had to stop the video because it goes through it rapidly, but it lists The Omen (1976)
 
Last edited:
Yes, and no surprise, given Goldsmith's classical training and background. He won his only Oscar for The Omen, which is a surprise, for such a prolific composer (see his Wikipedia article, for his astounding film and TV credits).

Speaking of TV -- and Halloween -- he composed the music for the early 60s Thiller series, hosted by Boris Karloff himself. Several of my boyhood nightmares had their origins from sneaking down to the living room to watch that show. He did separate themes for each episode, including this one, featuring everyone's favorite ham actor:
 
...featuring everyone's favorite ham actor:
*ahem*....second favorite.
For the more discerning of us 😉😄....


1729878386953.jpeg


Egghead.jpg


Price and Kermit.jpg
 
Yep.
Apparently, he was really playing it.
I re-watched the clip... there is much to like about this movie....I"m nuts about the Victorian cum Steampunk scenery and props, and the Nautilus design itself.
James Mason's Nemo is well played, tho' didn't come across as mad as a hatter that is the book Nemo, but still a good enough portrayal, and of course that inimitable voice.
Soundtrack...good.
Sooooo we come to Kirk Douglas' character....arrrrrrrgh! ... yucko and other unprintable words.
Another gag-me-with-a spoon Disney character.😣 Not disparaging Kirk Douglas, but he must have been behind on his rent.
But one can always "Fast-Forward" through those scenes.
 
Vampire Masquerade by Peter Gundry is one of my favorite Halloween songs!

It’s finally October! I can now post these in-season! 😄

I found a couple larger playlists by the same composer, both containing Vampire Masquerade. I quite enjoy listening to them while doing stuff!

^This one is about half an hour long.

^This one is an hour long.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top