• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

How much do you hate 🧝Feanor!?!?!?!

I guess I'll join the small, small club of "Feanor-lovers". :D Despite his many greedy and malicious actions, the guy completely rocks! Call me crazy, but he is one of my favorite characters in The Sil.
 
Thank you. Yes. Feanor is the coolest. I hate most elves. They are boringly perfect in every way. Feanor isn't. Yay! He's more fun to read about than some guy that always does what's right. Ick. *collapses*
 
I'm with Celebthôl,

Feanor is the greatest louse ever. It makes me twitch just to read how much of a jerk he is. It's like the Spiderman quote: "with great power, comes great responsiblility." Feanor couldn't have blown this more, what a loser. I could maybe forgive him if he had ever truely repented, but he never did, he died in the mess he created. May his memory be cursed!

I don't think the Silmarills could be recreated with Feanor in his present condition of blind hate and anger, but if he had an once of character I think he could have achived it again.

I don't think the elvish perfection is boring Yay, I find it exilerating and refreshing.
 
Originally posted by Celebthôl
Right from the Sil, Chapter 9: The flight of the Noldor the second paragraph of that chapter.
So im pretty sure Feanor is still the biggest jerk in the History of ME!!!
Ah, you're right; sorry, I wasn't certain about that quote. Thanks. :)
And yes, he was the Biggest Jerk of All Time!! :mad:
 
Woah! Yikes! I thought The Sil. said that the guy wouldn't be able to make the silmarils again. just like those dudes with the boats and probably some other things. I don't know. oh well. How is the perfection of the elves not boring? How many stories do you run into the heroic types that can do no wrong? Do people just like them because they're admirable? Oh, please. I look to real people for things like that. When I read a book, I'm looking for entertainment. Seeing the same thing every time is not entertaining. Now Feanor is original! But then, the fact that lots don't like him might be one of my reasons for liking him. :D
 
Runs off with Gollum hey ;)

So'kay Lant, i wasnt acutally 100% sure when i said it at first :eek: , so i was kinda hoping they could be :)

The perfect people are better because they do the good, we never run into perfection in people here, so its nice to read about them in stories i guess, and its good to know they can do no wrong...except the total chump named Feanor :mad:
 
Explain to me as if I'm a stupid little kid. How can perfection be fun to read about? Doing everything right? Being an all around nice guy? That's boring. You know what they'll do every time. They will try to save the day even though there are huge odds. Happens way too many times. Do you really think that these types are more original than Feanor?
 
Well, I can't say I hate Feanor. Exasperated, perplexed and frustrated to the point of wanting to smack some sense into the guy, but not hate.

This is a classic example of somebody who had it all. He had strength, power, good looks, skills, smarts, the power of persuasion, riches beyond belief. Why did he fall for the rap Melkor laid on him? Why didn't he see it as the load of manure that it was? Simple, his ego was bigger than even his extraordinary skills and his ego allowed him to be stroked by Melkor. A very Mannish trait, don't you think?

Hmmm... I think there may be the makings of a debate question in there.;)
 
All of this blasphemus talk about Feanor needs to halt. He was the greatest elf to ever live. He did the most to advance Elvish culture then anyone. He created the most beautiful things ever in the history of Arda.

its good to know they can do no wrong...except the total chump named Feanor

Its good to know they can do no wrong?!?! I am with Yaygollum that is entirely too boring, it shows that not all elves are boring little Valar-conformists. It is obvious that the Noldor wanted to get out of Valinor anyway or they would not have followed his lead.
 
How much I hate Fëanor?

Not at all!
IMO, Fëanor is one of the top three Elves of Tolkien's works. He was the most cunning of all in Arda, and one of the proudest and strongest in will. Why else would Melkor concentrate his efforts to bring Fëanor down.
It seems to me that most of the resident Fëanor-haters forget that Fëanor was the target for repeated attacks by the mightiest of all the Valar, often executed through other, and weaker, beings.


One more thing: The language in this thread, is IMO, evolving slowly onto the kind of language not prefered on the Forum. So everyone, please refrain from using words and phrases that may step over the line, no matter what your feelings towards Fëanor are. After all, he is only a character in a work of fiction. Okay?

EDITED: Just eased off the warning in the bottom a little bit
 
Last edited:
Im Sowwy Arv :( ill refrain.

But that doesnt mean he isnt entirely hatable (sp), nothing he did can be commended except either dieing or makeing the Silmarils, and nothing can change that.
 
I can't really say I hate Feanor. If it wasn't for Feanor, then Arda wouldn't even have the Silmarils, and all of Arda would be dark forever. It was just incredibly half-witted of him not to let the Valar have the Silmarils, even when he knew that Morgoth was out and about. So I guess one could hate him for that. He was just, like Baragund said, very very gifted and special, and he thought he was better. If I hate him for any reason it's because of his snobbieness.
 
I can sympathize with Feanor to a degree. If I had made the Silmarili, I would not be excited about giving them away just to 'resurrect' two trees that I would not get any benefit from. Surely it was a selfish deed, but who would have acted differently?
 
*comes out of her little corner in the GOO*

Feanor was awesome! He was completely, brutally unique and different. Like others have said, elves who are perfect tend to get boring. They only look remotely interesting in comparision with "bad" or "foolish" types(even then, the latter are more interesting to me).

*joins select, superly cool club of Feanor-lovers*
 
Our numbers are growing! So far we have:

Niniel
Inderjit S
Beleg_strongbow
Elendil3119
YayGollum
Feanorian
BlackCaptain
Arvedui
The-Elf-Herself

I think we've outnumbered them!:p :D

Edit: Whoops, sorry! Forgot you BC...
 
Keep it clean people. This thread is a discussion on why you hate/love Fëanor, not a (anti) Fëanor club.

And the premise that someone is more interesting to read about than others doesn't have much bearing on why Fëanor is great...
 
Well, it has bearing on why I think Feanor is great. I'm assuming everyong here knows about all the cool things he did and have mentioned them. They also know about all the "bad" things Feanor did, so while I like Feanor for that as well, I don't see a point of bringing those into play, as others have already done so. I find Feanor more interesting because from an objective standpoint, he stirred things up. Sure, he could have been nice and perfect and handed over the Silmarils, but not only would it have been against his nature, it would have also made for a duller story in my opinion. So I like him on that basis as well and I think it makes him a great character.
 
Thank you. Looks like these other people can't figure out how to answer my questions. oh well. I don't get why we can't say that Feanor is great just because he's interesting to read about. Don't people read bookses for the entertainment? If one guy is more entertaining to read about, doesn't that make him better than the types that are in every single story? That's what I thought. Maybe I'm just crazy.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top