I would like to know
why people
hate Fëanor!
Is it because he was unwilling to give
the Silmarils to
Yavanna, so that she could recreate the
Trees?
Then I can't agree with you. Read that part of
the Silmarillion again, and try to put yourselves in Fëanor's place:
There you are, all by your lonesome. All the
Valar,
Maiar and the Firstborn (except the Teleri) are present, and they have suffered a great shock and loss, and to repair that, they demand that you should give up what you have made by your own hands. Something you know is the greatest you can ever accomplish, and that you won't be able to do again. And there is this impatient
Vala,
Tulkas, not even letting you use the time needed to contemplate this, but wanting an answer now!
Is it because he brought with him the
Noldor to
Middle-earth in puruit of
Morgoth, seeking vengeance?
Consider what vengeance he sought:
Then Fëanor ran from
the Ring of Doom, and fled into the night; for his father was dearer to him than the Light of
Valinor or the peerless works of his hands; and who among sons, of
Elves or of
Men, have held their fathers of greater worth?
Is it because he rebelled against the Valar, and and broke the doom of banishment?
I owe that to his lust for vengeance, which I explained above.
Or is it the theft of the
ships, and the
kinslaying at Alqualondë?
I agree that there is no excuse for this.
But I would like to close this post with the following: If the Valar had been able to understand Fëanor a little better, and had not sat on their high thrones with their noses in the sky, much of what later befell could have been avoided. After all, he was a victim of the lies and deceit of one of their like, as he saw it. And none of the Valar ever tried to explain to him why there was a difference between
Melkor and themselves. All they did was to feel insulted. And those were the ones that was supposed to govern
Arda? If there is any blame to hand out for what befell Fëanor, the Valar should get most of that.