Aldarion
Active Member
- Joined
- May 30, 2019
- Messages
- 982
Just something I wrote:
warfantasy.wordpress.com
I basically worked off the assumption that Gondor = Byzantium. So I took a look at Byzantine military organization, and then extrapolated from that and from what little we know about Gondor at its greatest (namely, Imrahil's line about "7 000 men" and information about its territorial extent). Result is... well, it was likely far more powerful than most people think, with army numbers going into low six digits.
How Powerful Was Gondor At Its Height
Imrahil’s Statement In Return of the King, Prince Imrahil notes that the 7 000 strong force would have been a “vanguard” of Gondor’s army in time of its greatest strength. T…
warfantasy.wordpress.com
I basically worked off the assumption that Gondor = Byzantium. So I took a look at Byzantine military organization, and then extrapolated from that and from what little we know about Gondor at its greatest (namely, Imrahil's line about "7 000 men" and information about its territorial extent). Result is... well, it was likely far more powerful than most people think, with army numbers going into low six digits.
Last edited:

