• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Leaf by Niggle

G

Glamdring

Guest
It's my humble opinion that "Leaf by Niggle" is the most poignant book of JRRT and is, in effect, an autobiography. JRRT was obsessed with LOTR and ME (much to our benefit) and, like Niggle, couldn't leave it alone. The "leaf" that he drew became a tree within a field which had a background and mountains and people.

Anyone else out there care to share their thoughts on this theory ?
 
I just re-read that a few days ago, and with the fresh perspective of having finished JRRT's biography,

I agree that he poured some of his frustrations into Niggle's character, as he often did with his writing (read The Mewlips.)

I truly hope that he is in his own version of Niggle's Parish now, and that he is walking in the mountains of Middle-Earth.

I wonder, though, who were the Voices?
 
We had to read it as part of HS english class. I remember thinking that when he said he spent so much time on each leaf that he didn't have enough time for the whole tree, I felt like that was the attention to detail (like a leaf might be all of the details involved in writing the history of Numenor. Can you imagine trying to write all of that up and organize it and put get it published into a book, keeping all of the details to jive with all of the other material?).

It is a great story, although I was a bit uncomfortable with the talk about purgatory (the work he had to do to get into heaven), it hit too close to home:rolleyes:
 
I agree completely that Niggle is one of the most refreshing and thoughtful pieces of writing ever accomplished by JRR Tolkien. There is clearly a great deal in it which is autobiographical, but in a more general sense it is very relevent for us all. It's not only poignent, but I also happen to think that the writing is Tolkien at his scintillating best. it demonstrates his abilities as, fundamentally, a story teller. the narrative voice is incredible: light-hearted, yet tender and he deals with his material in gentle manner. The whole thing is in the style of a mock-epic, but unlike most pieces of the sort, it doesn't belittle it's subject matter. It recognises the smallness of the events with which it deals ( hence the name "Niggle"), but doesn't criticise or condemn them. In their own way, the characters and events are as important as anything else, and Tolkien treats them as that, whilst maintaining a sense of perspective.
Incidently, without wishing to turn to far from the subject, somebody mentioned Tolkien's biography. I'm not sure which one they were refering to, but I have to say that Humphrey Carpenters one is simply phenomenal. It reads like a story itself, and isn't caught up on tiny irrelevent details about where Tolkien went to dinner on the 23rd July 1924, but deals with the important matters in a style which makes it a pleasure to read. Deffinately to be recomended to anybody who hasn't already read it. A very fitting tribute to the man himself. And also very moving in places.
 
Leaf by Niggle is a beautiful little book - I've read it many times, and like it a lot. An allegory? By Tolkien? Gasp! But yes - I guess in someways it can be seen as autobiographical of Tolkien's unending work on the Silmarillion.
 
I've heard of it, but I havn't read it and don't really know what it's about.
Can someone shine some light on the subject without spoiling it for me?
Thanks.
Julie
 
I remember I thought it was his best non-ME story. That was
30 years ago, and had actually completely forgotten it til you
brought it up. Thanks!
 
Can anybody describe in a few words what this book is about and if it is worth bying it?
 
Originally posted by Turgon
Leaf by Niggle is a beautiful little book - I've read it many times, and like it a lot. An allegory? By Tolkien? Gasp! But yes - I guess in someways it can be seen as autobiographical of Tolkien's unending work on the Silmarillion.

Would you say Tolkien is just Niggle or...?
 
Don't you see a part of him within Mr. Parrish? The inner fight that Tolkien could have had involving his artistic facet against his educational role at university forcing him to be in a continuos uneasiness until, at some stage of his life, these two parts of his person balance...

Is there any information on how long it took him to write it? Anybody knows... please?
 
...And what your acquaintances do will become a part of you in time... :) I suppose that's the way it all started, since it was Lewis who
encouraged him to keep on writing.

Thanks for the quote.
 
I haven't read leaf by niggle

I'll go and get it out of the library and post my thoughts later.
 
Leaf by Niggle". In Tree and Leaf

Has anyone else read this story i can't rember it much but from what i can rember I found ita brilliant story
 
I have a copy of the story but I have not read because I never got around to it. Is it good? Do you recommend I read it?
 
It is actually a very good story I would read it i think itsa good story which embodies all the charecteristics of a good book
 
I have the book but I still haven't had time to read it.
Tell me what it is about?
Is it easy to read?
 
Thanks! I wanted to get The Tolkien Reader too... I mean I 've seen that before. I also wanted to get The Adventures of Tom Bombadill. Thanks!:p

I've been looking for Niggle for a while now, and finally found it in The Tolkien reader that I had had on hold for at least a month now. I found the story wonderful. It is not the kind you will remember very surely, but the kind of enchantment you can escape into, if only for a little while. I am looking forward to reading it again one day. It is still very fresh on my mind, having just read it today. While I read it, I really felt as if I was there, inside of Niggle's painting, and the image is in my mind.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I read "Leaf by Niggle" today. I really liked it. It was one of those stories that you won't really remember till you read it again years later, but it is like a small enchanting escape, if only for a short while. :)
 

Similar threads

Back
Top