• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

My father I ❤️ thee

vmontejr

New Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2022
Messages
2
Hi All,


I recently had to deal with the passing of my dad and I wanted to get a tattoo with the quote "Atarinya tye-melane" which means "My father I love thee".

I am having trouble finding an accurate way to transcribe this into tengwar. Searching the web has shown a few inconsistencies. Can anyone help?


Thanks!!
 
Greatly saddened I am at hearing thy loss. My condolences go with thee, and may white shores embrace him in e'erlasting peace.
 
I would suggest this:
1660153064798.png

(Note that I wouldn’t expect someone in LotR to say this sentence, Tolkein kept changing his about how his languages worked and for the period of LotR I would guess the sentence would be something like *atarinya, melinye (?mélanye) tye, but this sentence and the Lost Road in general of course exists in its own right as part of Tolkien’s work and if you are ok with it potentially not matching LotR-style Quenya, I would rather recommend to tattoo a Middle Quenya form than my conjectures).
 
I would suggest this:
View attachment 14941
(Note that I wouldn’t expect someone in LotR to say this sentence, Tolkein kept changing his about how his languages worked and for the period of LotR I would guess the sentence would be something like *atarinya, melinye (?mélanye) tye, but this sentence and the Lost Road in general of course exists in its own right as part of Tolkien’s work and if you are ok with it potentially not matching LotR-style Quenya, I would rather recommend to tattoo a Middle Quenya form than my conjectures).
This would be my suggestion also.
 
Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it!

According to Tolkien Gateway it is recorded twice in Tolkien's works:

First by Elendur to his father Isildur

and long before by Aldarion to his father Meneldur in Numenor
 
Hi All,


I recently had to deal with the passing of my dad and I wanted to get a tattoo with the quote "Atarinya tye-melane" which means "My father I love thee".

I am having trouble finding an accurate way to transcribe this into tengwar. Searching the web has shown a few inconsistencies. Can anyone help?


Thanks!!
I am also sorry for your loss.

May White Shores embrace him.

Ina Valinor na lintie suilanta ya fea.
( And Valinor be swift to greet his fea.)
 
Hi All,


I recently had to deal with the passing of my dad and I wanted to get a tattoo with the quote "Atarinya tye-melane" which means "My father I love thee".

I am having trouble finding an accurate way to transcribe this into tengwar. Searching the web has shown a few inconsistencies. Can anyone help?


Thanks!!
Beautiful words to remember your father by also.

Welcome to the Forum.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top