legofansrule
New Member
- Joined
- Jun 26, 2018
- Messages
- 3
Hi all,
I've been struggling for the past day trying to create a male character that I plan to incorporate into a few short-stories. So far, everything but the Epessë (third name) have been fairly easy to come by. Since the Epessë is assigned (from what I've read, typically based off of a character's actions or personality), I thought it would be best to make mine somewhat related to stars. The main problem is the fact that, after thinking for several hours, I can't come up with anything relevant. I've come here to ask for suggestions/help. As an advanced warning, sorry if I upset any die-hard Quenya or Sindarin fans.
When I originally started tinkering with names, I figured something like "stargazer" or whatnot would suffice. In short, most of the things I've come up with are absolute rubbish. Most of the english (title?) names I come up with simply aren't present in any dictionary of either language, and the ones that sound remotely applicable to my character have already been used (for example, Gil-Galad). If at all possible, I'd like an adjective-like formal name that is along the lines of a "night star" (a trusty star that can be followed in all darkness), or better yet "guiding star" (unfortunately the first word doesn't exist in Elvish).
It's not necessary to do extra work and translate the Epessë into Sindarin or Quenya (I could probably figure it out using a dictionary), but if anyone wants to go the extra mile and help put it into a good format, that would be awesome. I have a couple preconceptions of what I'd like the name to sort of look like, but if any of these are completely atrocious don't hesitate to speak up:
I've been struggling for the past day trying to create a male character that I plan to incorporate into a few short-stories. So far, everything but the Epessë (third name) have been fairly easy to come by. Since the Epessë is assigned (from what I've read, typically based off of a character's actions or personality), I thought it would be best to make mine somewhat related to stars. The main problem is the fact that, after thinking for several hours, I can't come up with anything relevant. I've come here to ask for suggestions/help. As an advanced warning, sorry if I upset any die-hard Quenya or Sindarin fans.
When I originally started tinkering with names, I figured something like "stargazer" or whatnot would suffice. In short, most of the things I've come up with are absolute rubbish. Most of the english (title?) names I come up with simply aren't present in any dictionary of either language, and the ones that sound remotely applicable to my character have already been used (for example, Gil-Galad). If at all possible, I'd like an adjective-like formal name that is along the lines of a "night star" (a trusty star that can be followed in all darkness), or better yet "guiding star" (unfortunately the first word doesn't exist in Elvish).
It's not necessary to do extra work and translate the Epessë into Sindarin or Quenya (I could probably figure it out using a dictionary), but if anyone wants to go the extra mile and help put it into a good format, that would be awesome. I have a couple preconceptions of what I'd like the name to sort of look like, but if any of these are completely atrocious don't hesitate to speak up:
- Preferably, I'd like the name to be in Quenya, since I prefer "elen" over Sindarin's "êl", but I'm not sure if this is okay to do given the fact that the rest of my character's name is in Sindarin--would it be shameful to hybridize the two forms?
- I'm trying to learn the basic structure of both Quenya and Sindarin, but in regards to formatting I'm pretty poor. This is especially an issue when I'd like the "elen" to appear at the front of the name. Most of the decent titles I can fathom have "star" at the end (guiding star, etc.). Would it work to incorporate reverse syntax with a dash between each word, or is that too indecent? For example, if I wanted to use "silver star", is "star-silver" tolerable? I'm sure there's ways to say "star of silver" or "star of guiding (wisdom would be awesome as well)", but since I'm very new to these languages, such methods are unknown to me.
