• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Numenorean ships

Vorondil

Inquisitor Lord, of the Ordo Spammicus
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Mar 18, 2023
Messages
3,479
What sort of ships did the Numenoreans use? I'm thinking they might have used something like a carrack.

220px-Medieval_carrack_-_detail_by_Pieter_Bruegel_the_Elder.jpg

A 15th century painting of a carrack.
 
Recent related thread:

I originally brought up the Ming here:
Post in thread 'Crafting of the Knives from the Barrow Downs' https://thetolkien.forum/threads/crafting-of-the-knives-from-the-barrow-downs.23859/post-519651
 
Last edited:
What sort of ships did the Numenoreans use? I'm thinking they might have used something like a carrack.


220px-Medieval_carrack_-_detail_by_Pieter_Bruegel_the_Elder.jpg

A 15th century painting of a carrack.
I actually wrote on naval warfare in Middle Earth:

Might be of help. But in short, yes, carracks are definitely possible and even likely as one of ship types Numenoreans were using.
 
As I am also curious about this, I will sometime soon look up ships of a time period and culture as similar to the Númenóreans as I can and post my theories when possible.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top