• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Origin of the ⛰️Misty Mountains?

Nikkolas

New Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2011
Messages
3
Hey everyone. I've been reading up as much as I can about some of the characters in Tokien's works that I find more interesting. It so happens one of them is Melkor. (I'm just drawn to evil overlords I guess)
Anyway I've read several places that he made the Misty Mountains but absolutely nothing I've read actually references where that is stated. Does anyone here know? Is it in The Silmarillion or one of the History of ME books?
 
Okay first off I don't have any references...but since I've read practically everything Tolkien wrote, I can tell you my rememberences...

Melkor created the Misty Mountains sometime during the Years of the Trees as a barrier to Orome. Indirectly they also served as a barrier to the crossing to the west of the elves. The elves who chose not to risk the Misty Mountains headed south and eventually became the Nandorin elves. Maybe in the Silmarillion or HOME? Any help on this one?
 
Aha found it!

The Silmarillion; Of the Coming of the Elves and the Captivity of Melkor
Long and slow was the march of the Eldar into the west, for the leagues of Middle-earth were uncounted, and weary and pathless. Nor did the Eldar desire to hasten, for they were filled with wonder at all that they saw, and by many lands and rivers they wished to abide; and though all were yet willing to wander, many feared rather their journey's end than hoped for it Therefore whenever Oromë departed, having at times other matters to heed, they halted and went forward no more, until he returned to guide them. And it came to pass after many years of journeying in this manner that the Eldar took their course through a forest, and they came to a great river, wider than any they had yet seen; and beyond it were mountains whose sharp horns seemed to pierce the realm of the stars. This river, it is said, was even the river which was after called Anduin the Great, and was ever the frontier of the west-lands of Middle-earth. But the mountains were the Hithaeglir, the Towers of Mist upon the borders of Eriador; yet they were taller and more terrible in those days, and were reared by Melkor to hinder the riding of Oromë. Now the Teleri abode long on the east bank of that river and wished to remain there, but the Vanyar and the Noldor passed over it, and Oromë led them into the passes of the mountains. And when Oromë was gone forward the Teleri looked upon the shadowy heights and were afraid.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top