Mrs. Maggott
Home is where the cat is
- Joined
- Oct 2, 2002
- Messages
- 3,463
Well, whereas you state much that is certainly food for thought, one point you make is seminal: purists are apt to take to heart the moral philosophy that undergirds Tolkien's work and are therefore quite upset when they see it being discarded or even presented diametrically in the films.
On the other hand, many "centrists" do not espouse those beliefs and therefore whether they are well or poorly presented in the films is moot. They are more likely to see the surface aspects of the story (whether or not it has the same people, places and events) and respond accordingly even if some of those aspects have been diamentrically changed. As a result, they either cannot comprehend the purists' angst or, understanding, dismiss it out of hand as unimportant.
However, I will say that I do not believe that centrists are on the whole older than purists. Perhaps they are older than FADs in general, but I would say that age is not the criteria here. Upbringing is more apt to be definitive. Those who come from "religious" backgrounds are more likely to be purists than those who don't - especially given the problems many purists have with Jackson's changes affecting the moral "vision" of the story. However, I would agree that most centrists are probably well past adolescence and sufficiently self assured that they have achieved a measure of inner confidence about their feelings on the matter.
Yet, as you yourself noted, it is interesting that centrists appear determined to put to rest (destroy?) any purist's contention that Tolkien in fact did have a moral message and that it was decidely Christian - and even Roman Catholic - in nature. As you have said, any such contention is met with the old "no allegories allowed" riposte even though a story does not require allegory to present any message, Christian or otherwise!
Therefore, I believe that you are right about the reason centrists are so adamant about refuting purists when, supposedly, they are far less "wedded" to defending the films as uncritically and wholeheartedly as the FADs are. And also, why it is that they do not contend equally with the FADs who are rather apt to defend anything that Jackson does, even when it is obviously inferior. I would posit that the vast majority of centrists take issue with purists rather than dividing their responses between both ends of the spectrum because (given the above post) of the nature of the sea-change in the moral essence of the story - that is, from absolutist to relativistic. It is in this arena that they prefer to "do battle" rather than simply taking on a discussion of whether or not the lighting was good or the costumes right in this or that scene.
I cannot speak for any other purist - nor do I wish to - but this issue is the crux of my disappointment and dislike of these films. I have admitted that they are great cinema, but to me, they look fair but feel foul and no amount of physical beauty, inspired acting and/or directing or spectacular special effects is going to change that, alas.
On the other hand, many "centrists" do not espouse those beliefs and therefore whether they are well or poorly presented in the films is moot. They are more likely to see the surface aspects of the story (whether or not it has the same people, places and events) and respond accordingly even if some of those aspects have been diamentrically changed. As a result, they either cannot comprehend the purists' angst or, understanding, dismiss it out of hand as unimportant.
However, I will say that I do not believe that centrists are on the whole older than purists. Perhaps they are older than FADs in general, but I would say that age is not the criteria here. Upbringing is more apt to be definitive. Those who come from "religious" backgrounds are more likely to be purists than those who don't - especially given the problems many purists have with Jackson's changes affecting the moral "vision" of the story. However, I would agree that most centrists are probably well past adolescence and sufficiently self assured that they have achieved a measure of inner confidence about their feelings on the matter.
Yet, as you yourself noted, it is interesting that centrists appear determined to put to rest (destroy?) any purist's contention that Tolkien in fact did have a moral message and that it was decidely Christian - and even Roman Catholic - in nature. As you have said, any such contention is met with the old "no allegories allowed" riposte even though a story does not require allegory to present any message, Christian or otherwise!
Therefore, I believe that you are right about the reason centrists are so adamant about refuting purists when, supposedly, they are far less "wedded" to defending the films as uncritically and wholeheartedly as the FADs are. And also, why it is that they do not contend equally with the FADs who are rather apt to defend anything that Jackson does, even when it is obviously inferior. I would posit that the vast majority of centrists take issue with purists rather than dividing their responses between both ends of the spectrum because (given the above post) of the nature of the sea-change in the moral essence of the story - that is, from absolutist to relativistic. It is in this arena that they prefer to "do battle" rather than simply taking on a discussion of whether or not the lighting was good or the costumes right in this or that scene.
I cannot speak for any other purist - nor do I wish to - but this issue is the crux of my disappointment and dislike of these films. I have admitted that they are great cinema, but to me, they look fair but feel foul and no amount of physical beauty, inspired acting and/or directing or spectacular special effects is going to change that, alas.
