• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Discussion Quest For Your ❤️ (Discussion)

Server Room Gremlin

a.k.a. Curufin the Crafty
Joined
Sep 29, 2023
Messages
2,634
This story originated as an RP between myself and @Tyelkormo the Fair.

We would love to hear your thoughts.


Prequel one-shot about Edrahil: The Sculpture and the Willow

Chapter List:

Prologue: Once Upon A Time, Far Away
Chapter 1: The Silver-Haired Stranger
Chapter 2: Quips, Qualms and Inquiries
Chapter 3: Looking For Trouble
 
Last edited:
I'm so excited to see you both publishing it for everyone at last!

FIRST OF ALL, what a glorious fanfic art post! It's perfect for the coming tale to unravel. I am so curious, does it have an inspiration? Because it strongly reminds me of the style of the art for one work in particular, TGATB.

Also, I'm still so intrigued for how this prologue CONNECTS to the rest of the tale. Why is our silver shadow trailing Bilbo? How did he get to this point? How does Bilbo become the one to be telling this tale of the Elder Days? So many questions we wonder about throughout the seemingly disjointed story of our Elven couple, all from just a prologue. I'm also curious about why Éowyn and Faramir held significance for who I believe the Elf to be according to the progression of the story in beta. Hmmmm. Much to think and ponder upon.

Looking forward to the double updates! :D
 
Hehe thank you!
I am so curious, does it have an inspiration? Because it strongly reminds me of the style of the art for one work in particular, TGATB.
I don't remember seeing something like this, but it inspired by something from the story itself. I don't wish to spoil more so I'll tell you privately.
 
don't remember seeing something like this
This was the cover art for TGATB:
1749332252764.jpeg
 
The chapter just doesn't get any less funny the second time. 🤣

Poor Edrahil. It's also hilarious how we knew next to nothing about him in the early days other than a name in the index (Character Name Game moments. *Coughs*).

I just love the fact he and Nessanië meet through absolute chaos. Perfectly prepared for the beginning of a tennis match of awkwardness...
 
Update: included chapter list in the first post above.

 
Aglaron set his plate down beside Brúnon’s, and as soon as he sat down, the taller elf grabbed him and ruffled his dark chestnut hair affectionately.
Aglaron chuckled a bit and pushed him away. Then he smiled at Edrahil’s cousin. “Well met, Enedrion. Not keeping the other youngsters company today?”
Enedrion pulled a face. “Oh… Aeglos has gone and roped them all into hunting with him. And now that’s all they ever talk about. This dusty little calligrapher prefers ink-stains to bloodstains.”
Brúnon grinned. “And here I’d thought you’d fallen for Gelnir’s irresistible charms and sparkling conversational skills.”
Gelnir snorted. “Keep that up and I’ll charm your face in, you silly old coot.”

Aglaron’s amused smile faded as he noted the others' absences. “Edrahil’s missing again, I see.”
Gelnir frowned. “Yes, it’s odd. Enedrion and I left him in the bathing chambers some time ago, after we returned from our patrol. What on earth could be holding him up?”
Brúnon sipped from his bowl unconcernedly. “Talmoth’s finally persuaded Edrahil to join him in his impregnable blanket fort, no doubt. We’ll never see either of them again.”
Gelnir choked and Enedrion slapped him on the back. Aglaron managed to fight down an undignified hiccup of laughter.
This entire section sounds so realistic, like the common banter of friends who like to tease and who feel very comfortable around each other. It's so much fun to read!

Brúnon straightened in his seat, looking quite like the cat who knew where the stash of cream was kept.
Never tell this fellow a secret. Half the halls will know before dinnertime, if he thinks its funny enough.
The other half will know before bedtime.

After a moment, she shrugged and turned away. Then something appeared to catch her eye and she whipped back around, looking straight at him.
Edrahil: I really should consider learning a disguise.

“How do you feel about settling one between me and my hound, huh? You see, he thinks he's better than me at hunting because, well, he's a hound, but I'm calling it nonsense. Care to be the judge of that?”
Alao Edrahil: This Cannot be all. What am I stepping into this time?

Without missing a beat, he raised his eyebrows and turned to Huan. “Does your companion speak true, Hound of Araw? Have you a bone to pick with her?”
Clearly, Edrahil has his own brand of chaotic good.

Edrahil did not know what to make of all this. Her matter-of-fact response and subsequent subdued silence spoke of some degree of sincerity, despite the strangeness of the situation.

But why…?

She turned to leave, looking… definitively… disappointed?

Never mind why.


Clear as day, the princess just wanted someone to talk to. It was not much to ask, and hardly the most difficult thing to give.
I've said it before(I think), but Edrahil is someone I very much relate to. This moment and the one where he first "meets" Nethien are perhaps the two moments I can most easily relate to him on a personal level. He can be very empathetic, extremely loyal, and he has a generous heart even towards those he doesn't understand.

I wonder what his friend Talmoth will think, though.

He was free for the rest of the day, yet chose to spend it with her and her hound over a silly competition? Chose to spend it with her? Why?

He was looking at her strangely. His eyes looked a little brighter and his posture more relaxed than it was just a few seconds ago.

Never mind why.

He had offered his company, the thing she was trying to seek here, and hadn't made her look like a fool. Why should she turn him down now?
A similar line of thought to what Edrahil just went through, with the same conclusion. Interesant.*
*German for "interesting".

She led the way out of the hall, heading for her favorite hunting grounds. Edrahil followed, walking by Huan’s side in silence. And if Nethien had a small smile lighting up her face, no one had to know.
Never mind what no one has to know, lady, whoever else is in the hall at the moment just watched you come in, sit down with ye art boy for a minute, almost leave before he stopped you, and then you both leave together.

Brúnon is eating well tonight if he ever finds out.
 
This entire section sounds so realistic, like the common banter of friends who like to tease and who feel very comfortable around each other. It's so much fun to read!
Very fun to write too. This story has a lot of original characters, and I love them all. 🤭


Edrahil: I really should consider learning a disguise.
He's a bit out of luck there. His ordinary Noldorin appearance (dark haired, grey eyed) was enough to hide him from Nethien's eyes as she searched the crowded halls. But she had her hound with her, and Huan is the dog who famously was not fooled by even Lúthien's cloak of shadows (and thus was able to catch her and bring her to the sons of Fëanor as she escaped Doriath).
Poor Eddie wouldn't stand a chance. 😂


Clearly, Edrahil has his own brand of chaotic good.
💯
You can't have such chaotic friends if you don't have at least a bit of the chaos yourself, deep down. Nethien herself in the previous chapter has already discovered that serious and loyal does not mean humourless. 🤭


I've said it before(I think), but Edrahil is someone I very much relate to. This moment and the one where he first "meets" Nethien are perhaps the two moments I can most easily relate to him on a personal level. He can be very empathetic, extremely loyal, and he has a generous heart even towards those he doesn't understand.

I wonder what his friend Talmoth will think, though.
I can't recall you mentioning this in particular. But indeed, Edrahil is generous towards everyone, and tries to understand them even if they may be very different from him. It's something I appreciate in him, and in fact it rather contrasts with the attitudes of many in the Silmarillion. Prejudiced conflict between individuals and peoples is quite commonly seen.

I think it is also my own attitude in general when I am presented with new information. If I pass my own judgement too quickly, I may miss out on important information about the world and the people around me. And in order to engage with something effectively, one must first try to understand it more thoroughly. But my motive is not only intellectual/logical. I myself have struggled a lot with people jumping to conclusions when encountering or speaking with me, so I try not to do the same to others.


A similar line of thought to what Edrahil just went through, with the same conclusion. Interesant.*
*German for "interesting".
I do like this bit of unknowing 'harmony' between them. :>
If you add one more 's', it's also the French word for 'interesting': intéressant! 😂


Never mind what no one has to know, lady, whoever else is in the hall at the moment just watched you come in, sit down with ye art boy for a minute, almost leave before he stopped you, and then you both leave together.

Brúnon is eating well tonight if he ever finds out.
😂 👌
 
Last edited:

Similar threads

Back
Top