Scarab Mango
New Member
- Joined
- Jan 14, 2004
- Messages
- 3
As it stands, I have read the Hobbit, LOTR, and the Silmarillion. Something has been playing on my mind for a while and I wanted to get some feedback/opinions from other Tolkien fans.
On various websites, I have heard it asserted that Smaug might be one of the original dragons of Morgoth, and thus a vassal of Ancalagon and a seriously powerful dragon. Smaug's exact origins seem to get a bit foggy (at least for me) when you try to go back further than Erebor.
Due to Smaug's obvious power and his own statements to Bilbo about "laying low the warriors of old" in ages past, I began to wonder if Smaug may well BE a dragon of Morgoth. Some people have said that he, along with Scatha and perhaps a few other dragons, escaped the War of Wrath amd plagued Middle Earth for many years after.
Smaug is obviously a powerful dragon capable of destroying a whole city singlehandedly, and I have also heard that Gandalf's true motivation for helping Thorin and his subjects might have been to keep Sauron from recruiting Smaug and thus gaining what would have been a devastating weapon for his own designs on the world. (This statement was made in Unfinished Tales I believe, though I haven't read that book in its entirety).
I think there may be some credence to Smaug's possible status as a dragon of Morgoth and his participation in the War of Wrath, but I have yet to find a "smoking gun" to confirm this, either in Tolkien's writing or on websites such as the Encyclopedia of Arda.
If anyone who could provide me with some feedback on this, or just a similar/opposing theory, I would greatly appreciate it. Perhaps someone who has read more Tolkien than me knows the answer.
On various websites, I have heard it asserted that Smaug might be one of the original dragons of Morgoth, and thus a vassal of Ancalagon and a seriously powerful dragon. Smaug's exact origins seem to get a bit foggy (at least for me) when you try to go back further than Erebor.
Due to Smaug's obvious power and his own statements to Bilbo about "laying low the warriors of old" in ages past, I began to wonder if Smaug may well BE a dragon of Morgoth. Some people have said that he, along with Scatha and perhaps a few other dragons, escaped the War of Wrath amd plagued Middle Earth for many years after.
Smaug is obviously a powerful dragon capable of destroying a whole city singlehandedly, and I have also heard that Gandalf's true motivation for helping Thorin and his subjects might have been to keep Sauron from recruiting Smaug and thus gaining what would have been a devastating weapon for his own designs on the world. (This statement was made in Unfinished Tales I believe, though I haven't read that book in its entirety).
I think there may be some credence to Smaug's possible status as a dragon of Morgoth and his participation in the War of Wrath, but I have yet to find a "smoking gun" to confirm this, either in Tolkien's writing or on websites such as the Encyclopedia of Arda.
If anyone who could provide me with some feedback on this, or just a similar/opposing theory, I would greatly appreciate it. Perhaps someone who has read more Tolkien than me knows the answer.
