• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

🧙Saruman and the Ring of Fire

Would free drinks at the Long Named Dragon bar make up for it???

er... sorry... NOT!!!

I'm reveling in victory... until Beorn or Cir or one of the other spoil sports comes in with a post count doesn't matter speech and takes away all my fun.. I still think it is a lot like birthdays... Gee, I'm old...
Well, you are a longer poster than me sometimes... I ramble a lot... Going on vacation Sunday. You'll have a three day window to catch up in while I go on internet withdrawal...
 
U!!! TAKE A QUICK LOOK AT WHO IS NUMBER ONE ON THE POST COUNT!!! I WAS CURIOUS SO I LOOKED BUT I NEVER THOUGHT... I'M NUMBER ONE!!! GEE, THIS'LL LAST MAYBE TWO DAYS BUT... GEES... GROND IS TWO I AM ONE... GEES... YIKES... GEES AGAIN... WOW.
 
As I said, I am going on vacation tomorrow... of course, you are over a hundred posts behind... shame on you...

Where was I?

So you aren't going to give me your opinion? Sad...

I already gave you mine... so here is my question... Purely speculative, mind you...

What powers do you think Saruman put into his ring? What powers did he have to put in? What could he do with it? What happened to the darn thing after he was deposed?
 
Maby Saruman didnt take the ring because his own ring aided him more (thus him winning the fight) or a single being couldnt have two powerful rings on at the same time? :confused: possibly not
Maby he suspected Sauron obtaining the one and if this happened then his mind would be open to him thus revealing his desire to obtain the one.
 
Gee... really cool new colors and stuff... wow... leave for a couple of days and... Where was I?

I don't think that the fight was hardly as dramatic as it was in the movie. In the book it sounded more like Gandalf knew he was outmatched and chose to bide his time. The idea about fearing that Sauron would get in his mind is good, however.
 
BUT it says in the UT that the White Messenger,who was skilled to uncover all secrets became aware of this gift (Cirdan giving the ring to Gandalf) and begrudged it, and it was the begining of the ill-will that he bore to the Grey Messenger.
So Saruman did know Gandalf had the ring,but as to why he didn't take it from him I have no answer or proof.
It is clear that Saruman knew about the Ring of Gandalf, the Ring of Fire (we have it was the begining of the ill-will that he bore to the Grey Messenger. Saruman hated Gandalf before the Great Years). But we don't know why didn't he try to take it from Gandalf.
I don't think that the Ring can be hidden. Only the One Ring makes the possessor invisible and itself, of course. I think that if the Ring of Fire makes itself invisible, it must make the possessor hidden, but that is not true. The Ring wasn't hidden by itself.
Can Gandalf put some spell on Saruman? I don't think that Saruman was too busy for a Ring of Power. Or maybe he ignored the Ring of Fire because of his own Ring. Maybe he thought that his Ring is more powerful that Gandalf's.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top