• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Drawing SRG's drawings

Thambë Carnistirwa
(Carnistir's Room)

What is something Elves are good at? Reflecting on the past. Well, here I am reflecting on the past. :D

After I first read the Silmarillion, I suddenly became very interested in Tolkien's world and characters. I often played Minecraft at the time, and I created a new world where I only used Quenya. I even switched the game's language to it (which is possible!).
I changed my username to Carnistir (Caranthir's name in Quenya), and built a lot of interesting things. My main creation was a massive underground fortress, of which only the domed top showed. But even this dome was hidden, deep underwater in a huge lake. Looking back at it, my grammar was probably not the best, and Fëanor would be most certainly facepalming reading my signs, named items and books in the game.

Back then, I didn't have anyone to share this interest of mine with. Nor did I really want to, at the time. But now that I have found people who share this interest, I wouldn't go back at all.
So this new drawing is a little piece of the past to share with you. It's coloured only in pencil, as I would have done at the time, and Caranthir wears purple, gold, black and red (which is also how I imagined him at the time).

View attachment 40305

The furniture and items in the room are mostly based on things in my Minecraft world.
The parchment on the wall shows the dome at the top of my hidden fortress. The words above are 'turmen carnistirwa' ('Carnistir's realm') in Tengwar, as writing with these letters was another interest of mine back then.
The hanging banner on the right is one I created in the game to represent Carnistir's underwater realm.

Below is Carnistir's actual bedroom in the game, and you can see the similarities.

View attachment 40306


I took another picture of my drawing with my phone (the one above is a scan). Here it is, just to compare. It improves the sharpness of the lines, but the colours are less accurate (it makes poor Moryo dreadfully pale!).

View attachment 40307
This is lovely! You captured him really well! I haven't seriously played Minecraft in a long time (my old laptop just doesn't have the ram to handle it currently 😅) but this is very nostalgic! I love the mix of Minecraft and more realistic details.

Caranthir wasn't a character I payed much attention too until recently, but he's grown on me very quickly! Your drawing definitely fits his personality. An underwater fortress definitely sounds like somewhere he'd like to live--nice and secluded, but still very grand.

I really like how you translated a minecraft build into more of a real-world drawing. And I'm mind blown by the tiny writing on the picture on the wall. It's so tiny and neat!
Agreed! I tried to do some tengwar in one of my sketchbooks and I was surprised by how hard it was! Especially for me, keeping the letters tiny and neat when I'm not accustomed to drawing them.
 
Last edited:
This is lovely! You captured him really well! I haven't seriously played Minecraft in a long time (my old laptop just doesn't have the ram to handle it currently 😅, but this is very nostalgic! I love the mix of Minecraft and more realistic details.

Caranthir wasn't a character I payed much attention too until recently, he's grown on me very quickly! Your drawing definitely fits his personality. An underwater fortress definitely sounds like somewhere he'd like to live--nice and secluded, but still very grand.
I'm glad you think I captured his personality well. 😁 And indeed, it is nostalgic. I don't play Minecraft much these days, apart from using it to design buildings for my comic stories.
 
To @Fingon_Findekáno,

Here are Fingon and Curufin in my comic style. It's based on this moment from the Chaotic thread:

flying-finno-and-curvo.jpg


Which is why Finno has vampire fangs, there's a tower of crates behind them, and they're flying thanks to Laurinalótë's magical pollen. 😂

A few funny notes on my drawing process:
Of course, like Fingon is the Hair Commander, I drew all his braids first before finishing the rest of his body.

hair-commander-sketching.jpg


Then when digitally colouring those braids, I noticed that they created that optical illusion where grey spots 'magically' appear in the white areas between them. o_o

optical illusion braids.png


These went away as I added the golden ribbons to the braids. Perhaps Fingon's hair is too powerful, and the golden ribbons are necessary to keep the power contained. o_o

Poor Curufin is looking a bit anxious and bewildered at his sudden new gift of flight.
But drawing him in this situation has possibly provided me with a wonderful new reaction image (to go with 'sad Curvo' and 'happy Curvo')...

anxiety-curvo.png

...anxiety Curvo!


---

I hope you have a good day, my friend. 😊 It's been really great getting to know you more over the course of the past year or so. I've loved our discussions on various interesting topics, and I very much appreciate your supportive and caring nature.

Thanks to you, Curufin is slowly warming up to the house of Nolofinwë, despite his feeling unsettled by Fingon's enthusiastic and sunny personality. 😉 Aredhel doesn't get to take all the credit anymore.
 
To @Fingon_Findekáno,

Here are Fingon and Curufin in my comic style. It's based on this moment from the Chaotic thread:

View attachment 40331

Which is why Finno has vampire fangs, there's a tower of crates behind them, and they're flying thanks to Laurinalótë's magical pollen. 😂

A few funny notes on my drawing process:
Of course, like Fingon is the Hair Commander, I drew all his braids first before finishing the rest of his body.

View attachment 40332

Then when digitally colouring those braids, I noticed that they created that optical illusion where grey spots 'magically' appear in the white areas between them. o_o

View attachment 40333

These went away as I added the golden ribbons to the braids. Perhaps Fingon's hair is too powerful, and the golden ribbons are necessary to keep the power contained. o_o

Poor Curufin is looking a bit anxious and bewildered at his sudden new gift of flight.
But drawing him in this situation has possibly provided me with a wonderful new reaction image (to go with 'sad Curvo' and 'happy Curvo')...

View attachment 40334
...anxiety Curvo!


---

I hope you have a good day, my friend. 😊 It's been really great getting to know you more over the course of the past year or so. I've loved our discussions on various interesting topics, and I very much appreciate your supportive and caring nature.

Thanks to you, Curufin is slowly warming up to the house of Nolofinwë, despite his feeling unsettled by Fingon's enthusiastic and sunny personality. 😉 Aredhel doesn't get to take all the credit anymore.
Hehehe, I love it!! 🤣 I’ll have to come back to this later since I have to get ready for work now, but this is hilariously awesome! (I still also intend to comment about your Christmas art and Caranthir eventually too.)

Thank you, cousin! 😁
 
To @Glorfindel Goldtress,

Here is an illustration of this frankly historic series of replies in the Chaotic Thread:

pizza-sandwich-from-curvo.jpg


...And yes, it is also a reference to this:




I’ve noticed that Curufin gives food to people when he likes them. 😂
Chocolate for Maedhros, soup for Tancaquárë, a tiny pizza sandwich for Laurinalótë…
But then Celegorm is usually the one who gives food to Curufin. So maybe that’s where he learned it from.

I drew this quite a few weeks in advance, and it brought me joy every time I looked at it. ☺️ I hope it does the same for you.
 
Thank you so much, mellon vuin! This is so adorable and such a lovely depiction of this unforgettable exchange! The kindred spiritedness is quite evident in their interactions, isn't it?

Indeed, it brings me much joy and delight, yet the person who made it brings me even more! ☺️ 🫂 Handing you the cheese from the pizza sandwich. 😉
 
Tiny Curvo

Sketches of a very young Curufin.

tiny-curvo-crafting.jpg

^ Making rings for his brothers. Out of wire, because he's too young to forge things.


tiny-curvo-thoughtful-spot.jpg

^ In his very first Thoughtful Spot. Curufin likes to curl up in a comfy place to think about things. Here he is very small, trying it for the first time. And he's looking up because his older brothers have come into the room.
 
Tiny Curvo

Sketches of a very young Curufin.

View attachment 41184
^ Making rings for his brothers. Out of wire, because he's too young to forge things.


View attachment 41185
^ In his very first Thoughtful Spot. Curufin likes to curl up in a comfy place to think about things. Here he is very small, trying it for the first time. And he's looking up because his older brothers have come into the room.
He's so small and adorable!! His eyes are so big and intelligent, you can tell he is thinking very hard, 🥺.
 
@Daeron of Doriath
Happy birthday, brother! 😉

I tried to draw your Maglor in my comic style, and here he is with tiny Curufin.

notes-from-curvo.jpg


Makalaurë is having trouble thinking of what should come next in his new piece.
Meanwhile, little Curvo is copying his brother, and he hands him a tiny composition attempt of his own.
Laurë plays it for him. Curvo is very moved.
 
@Daeron of Doriath
Happy birthday, brother! 😉

I tried to draw your Maglor in my comic style, and here he is with tiny Curufin.

View attachment 41523

Makalaurë is having trouble thinking of what should come next in his new piece.
Meanwhile, little Curvo is copying his brother, and he hands him a tiny composition attempt of his own.
Laurë plays it for him. Curvo is very moved.
This is so adorable!!🥺
Thank you!! Tiny curvo is so precious, but more importantly, a terrific songwriting assistant hehe. I love his face in the last panel, and Laurë looks wonderful! 😊
 
Happy Birthday, @Tyelkormo the Fair! 😁

I have drawn this for you in honour of our first private RP together, ‘Nargothrond RP’, later called ‘Quest For The Silmarils’, and our more recent prequel RP in the same timeline, ‘Quest For Your Heart’.

(These RPs could be summarised as: Instead of Curufin and Celegorm in Nargothrond after the Dagor Bragollach, we have Curufin and Nethien [kind of a female Celegorm, but she has her own personality]. Shenanigans ensue.)


picture-from-curvo-and-tyelpe.jpg


It’s Nethien’s begetting day, and she’s gone all out with the baking.
Finrod is mildly traumatised by the cake (don’t ask). He’s also dressed for this occasion, wearing a brooch with gemstones cut in the shape of a moon, and wearing shoes very similar to Nethien’s so they can match. Out of all the cookies in the room, Huan wants a taste of the one in Curufin’s hand. Edrahil has a floury handprint on his face (also don’t ask). And he is wondering why Nessa handed him such a stacked plate of cookies. Celebrimbor took the picture (and is struggling not to laugh).

---

It's hard for me to encompass with words what our friendship has become, so I hope this picture gets across at least some of it. It's always a joy to chat with you, in good times and bad.
But I will say that just like our Celegorm and Curufin, we are best bros and partners in crime. 😎 Looking forward to implementing many more schemes and exploring various random places in the wild with you. May it never end.
 
Broooo!!! 🥺🥺🥺

I literally have no words! This is perfect! Just perfect! Everything is so on point with this!

I immediately recognized what it was about as soon as I saw the cookies!
And everything else--!
Nessa's apron caught my attention next. Tyelpë's masterpiece. I did wonder why Huan is all focused on Curvo, until I saw your description. Bad for you, Huan! Don't bother Curvo over it!
Traumatized Finrod and the cake, lol! Don't worry, cousin! You'll have your own cookies.

Edrahil with the fingerprints! I was looking for that, actually, and was struggling to find, until I zoomed in. This is perfection! 🤣
Just cookies, Eddie. Don't mind them. Just eat 'em!

And Curvo just looks so cute! 🥺
It seems he doesn't want to share the Nessa cookies though.

Tyelpë is adorable! 🥺
Love everything about his expression. So does Nessa. My nephew is perfect, she would say!

And I say, this was the perfect gift, and I'm still smiling here.
It's hard for me to encompass with words what our friendship has become, so I hope this picture gets across at least some of it. It's always a joy to chat with you, in good times and bad.
But I will say that just like our Celegorm and Curufin, we are best bros and partners in crime. 😎 Looking forward to implementing many more schemes and exploring various random places in the wild with you. May it never end.
And it is hard for me too, because our friendship is so deeper than any words can decipher.

I always love talking about my day with you too, my bro. You'll always be the Curvo to my Tyelko and nothing will ever change that.

I'll be here, knocking out any Beren your life offers, and hopefully able to slay it before it gets too close. No choking for this bro. 🥺

Cheers, mate! May this never end!
 
Pocket Princes

Celegorm and Curufin drawn as if they were tiny plushies.

the-pocket-princes.jpg


I imagine Tyelko is an older adolescent, and Curvo is a child nearing adolescence here. And Huan is a puppy.
Their hair and clothing designs are quite close to how I imagined them when I first read the Silmarillion. I decided perhaps they would wear their clothes and hair like that at this age. :3

I also imagine it's a bright, warm day, bathed in golden Tree-light, and they're just sitting in a field of flowers, spending time together and enjoying the peace.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top