My thought exactly.The main problem I see with 'machines' is that it is often possible to take a very good one and put it to a very evil use (the various rings, the Palantirs, etc.)
Originally posted by Rúmil
My thought exactly.
The Palantíri, IMO, were not "machines" in origin; they were more of a work of art. (they were devised by Fëanor, and there was little use for seven Palantíri in Aman) The Númenoreans strated using them as Machines, and the potential evil that caused was set to work at the end of the Third Age.
(this my personal opinion, and it is conjectural and debatable)
Originally posted by Rúmil
Yes. I use the word "machine" to describe a brutal, crude and vulgar artefact made and used for exclusively materialistic puposes, by stupid, selfish, and tasteless users. No offence meant to your Kawasaki Ninja ZX-9R
I admit this is not the usual definition, but I suspect this is what Tolkien often meant by the word.
...and so to the Machine (or Magic). By the last I intend all use of external plans or devices (apparatus) instead of developments of the inherent inner powers or talents-
letter #96.Well the first War of the Machines seems to be drawing to its final inconclusive chapter – leaving, alas, everyone the poorer, many bereaved or maimed and millions dead, and only one thing triumphant: the Machines. As the servants of the Machines are becoming a privileged class, the Machines are going to be enormously more powerful. What's their next move? ....
But at Eregion great work began – and the Elves came their nearest to falling to 'magic' and machinery.
Galadriel speaks of the 'deceits of the Enemy'. Well enough, but magia could be, was, held good (per se), and goeteia bad. Neither is, in this tale, good or bad (per se), but only by motive or purpose or use.
Very well Mr. Anderson...That first quote is like something straight from the Matrix, seriously.
But at Eregion great work began – and the Elves came their nearest to falling to 'magic' and machinery.
But the Mirror will also show things unbidden, and those are often stranger and more profitable than things which we wish to behold.
'Many things I can command the Mirror to reveal,'
That's right, she can. But does that mean she would?
Originally posted by Lantarion
That first quote is like something straight from the Matrix, seriously.
But I think, Camille, that the words 'Elven' and 'machine' cannot be linked in a sentence, as the Elves shunned the use of mechanized apparatus and tended to bend more to the side of Magic, considered an 'Art'.
Originally posted by Lantarion
That's right, she can. But does that mean she would?
Posted by Lhunithiliel
And I too think that Galadriel's mirror is some sort of a screen to reflect what she sees in the minds of the people standing in front of her.
For it shows things that were, and things that are, and things that yet may be.
Originally posted by Lhunithiliel
I think that in the case of the "mirror" - it is the water that is of some clue, perhaps. Why? Well, remember that it is NOT the first time Frodo looks into "magic waters"! The first time was outside Moria, when Gimly shows him that lake the water of which did NOT reflect the clear blue sky above, nor their own reflection, but a dark, deep sky with millions of beautiful stars... maybe the sky the Firstborn saw when they awoke, maybe the skies before the creation of the Sun and Moon (as explained in Silmarillion)...
And I too think that Galadriel's mirror is some sort of a screen to reflect what she sees in the minds of the people standing in front of her. She has been described quite well as an enchantress and possessing "magic" to read into peoples' minds. And remember the last meeting of Galadriel, Celeborn, Gandalf (the White) and Elrond? I am so sorry I don't have the English text, so I could have been able to quote, but it was about all of them having a very long and lively conversation but not a single sound was heard as they were communicating through their minds, not using the normal sound-speech! So, Galadriel could well use any other surface for that "screen" of thoughts. Why WATER then? I have already stated my p.o.v.
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?