Rúmil, you said:
"The "Machine" in
Tolkien's frame of mind, is an
evil word. Only Evil characters use Machines"
"The Palantíri, IMO, were not "machines" in origin; they were more of a work of art"
"Yes. I use the word "machine" to describe a brutal, crude and vulgar artefact made and used for exclusively materialistic puposes, by stupid, selfish, and tasteless users. No offence meant to your Kawasaki Ninja ZX-9R
I admit this is not the usual definition, but I suspect this is what Tolkien often meant by the word."
I am sorry you are mistaken, It is very clear Tolkien uses Machine not only to the devices of the Enemy but also to the Elven artefact, the difference my friend is that the first ones are used or created to control, to dominate, the latter is to preserve or in Tolkien's words:
"Their magic is art, delivered from many of its human limitations: more effortless, more quick, more complete (product and vision in unflawed correspondence)"
I suggest you to read the Tolkien's letters (and I suggest to everyone it is really good to know a little of what Tolkien had in mind when he was at work), specially letters: 131 and 155
I am sorry I can not quote them but my copy is not in English and I am afraid I can only offer a very bad translation. The letter 131 I have quoted already.
In the other one (155) Tolkien talks about the magic and its motives: No "magic" is good or evil but the porpouse could be or the use you make of this "magic". He says that
Galadriel and
Gandalf use "magic", modern mogic and the results produce real effects on real world.
and when you said: "But anyway, this is out of place: we must distinguish "conjuring" magic, which these quotes are about, magic that is meant to produce a lasting and visible artefact, and "telepathy""
I do not think it is out of place because helps to prove the theory of
the mirror as an artefact: Magic=Machine=Artefact=
Mirror of Galadriel