• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

The stone 🧌Giants

I assume that you are referring to the Stone Giants mentioned in the Hobbit? Well they were only mentioned very briefly in The Hobbit, and they were not mentioned at all in LotR, I think Tolkien may have forgotten about them, either that or he felt they were not a significant part of the story, so they were not mentioned. I don't think anyone knows what happened to them, thats for you to decide on your own, give them your own story.;)
 
In The Treason of Isengard, chapter XXII, "Treebeard", Christopher Tolkien provides a page of pencilled notes by his father, most asking himself questions about the Ents and about Treebeard.

One of notes reads:
Difference between trolls – stone inhabited by goblin-spirit, stone-giants, and the ‘tree-folk’. [Added in ink: Ents.]
I believe this is the only mention of "stone-giants" outside The Hobbit in anything published by Tolkien. He was obviously planning to compare and contrast Ents, stone-giants, and stone-trolls, but never did, at least in anything so far published.

The explanation of trolls as "stone inhabited by goblin-spirit" is not in agreement with what little we find in the published Lord of the Rings.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top