• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

The White Council

Tar-Palantir

Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2001
Messages
150
Saruman was head of the White Council. In the Silmarillion, in "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age", it's said that Galadriel wanted Gandalf to be head of the Council. Gandalf didn't want it anyway, but who wanted Saruman to be top gun (besides Saruman, that is)? Did he get it by default? Did the Council vote? I can see it now:

Gandalf: "Galadriel, thanks for the offer, but this rock's gotta roll."

Elrond: "It's the thought that counts."

Saruman: "Hey! What about me?"

Cirdan (ignoring Saruman): "Anyone else? Glorfindel, how about you? You have an amazing amount of forsight."

Glorfindel: "No thanks. I'm training for my part in the movie."

Elrond: "The grass isn't always greener on the other side."

Saruman (with hand raised): "Ooh! Pick me! Pick me!"

Cirdan: "Celeborn, are you game?"

Celeborn (shuffling his feet and looking at the ground): "Honey?"

Galadriel: "(hard stare)"

Celeborn: "You never let me do anything!"

Elrond: "Remember, behind every good....."

Saruman:"memememememememememe!!"

Glorfindel: "Ok, who's left? Cirdan? Galadriel?"

Cirdan: "Not me - gotta build the Last Ship, you know."

Galadriel: "So! Instead of a mighty Lord of the Council, you would have a Queen! A beautiful and all-powerful leader! All would love me and..."

Cirdan: "Nevermind...Saruman, looks like you're it."

Saruman: "Yippee! I'll hit the library and find out all I can about the Rings and the arts of the Enemy."

Elrond: "Good, but don't forget, if you play with fire - "

White Council: "SHUT UP!!"
 
Haha, that was a great vote Tar-Palantir. :D
I think Saruman was chosen as head of the Istari already in Valinor, by Manwë I suppose. It was probably because he was the most powerful in magic at the time, and seemed to be the wisest. Gandalf hadn't exactly been in the spotlight till he was sent to M-E, but Manwë knew of his potential.
Gandalf turned down the position of Head of the White Council because he was so humble, and because he had his own personal mission to fulfill: kill Sauron, kill Sauron, kill Sauron..
 
Yes, I did say 'seemed' to be the wisest, because I can't figure out any other reason for Manwë to appoint Curunír as Head of the Istari.
 
I think Saruman was chosen because of his knowledge of the rings of power. I also think he was more dignified than Tar-Palantir makes him see but I must admit, I laughed at your post. Very cute. (It also makes Saruman look like a groveling, sniveling, pathetic wrech... I like that)

:D

-me
 
What makes me wonder is this: if Saruman had a mandate to be the head of the Council when he got off the boat, then why would Galadriel dare to offer it to Gandalf? Of course, looking at her history as it relates to Manwe's orders, she wasn't always the most obedient to Manwe, was she?
 
I think we have to distinguish the difference between the Istari and the White Council here.
Saruman was obviously the head of the order of Istari. But the White Council was a seperate thing alltogether. The two Blue Wizards were never part of the Council. And I don't think Radagast was either, although they could have joined if they wanted to.

So the White Council only had Gandalf and Saruman as Istari. The rest were mainly Elves. So I don't think that Saruman had an automatic right to head the Council.
It seems to me that the Council was probably thought up by Elrond or Galadriel. So if Galadriel thought it up then she might have the right to say who should head it.

Saruman probably was given the position because he was the leader of the Istari, and because he seemed the most likely to combat Sauron.
 
Originally posted by Mormegil
I think we have to distinguish the difference between the Istari and the White Council here.
Saruman was obviously the head of the order of Istari. But the White Council was a seperate thing alltogether. The two Blue Wizards were never part of the Council. And I don't think Radagast was either, although they could have joined if they wanted to.

So the White Council only had Gandalf and Saruman as Istari. The rest were mainly Elves. So I don't think that Saruman had an automatic right to head the Council.
It seems to me that the Council was probably thought up by Elrond or Galadriel. So if Galadriel thought it up then she might have the right to say who should head it.

Saruman probably was given the position because he was the leader of the Istari, and because he seemed the most likely to combat Sauron.

I think you're missing my original question (probably because I muddied the waters with my off-off-off-off-Broadway rendition of the origins of the White Council :D ). You say that Saruman was "given" the position. By whom? Galadriel certainly didn't want him, she was pushing for Gandalf. So, who? Elrond or Cirdan? Gandalf himself?

My point here is (given that there is probably no "right" answer, by which I mean that Tolkien never made it clear), who would have backed Saruman (using the internal logic of Middle-Earth)? Someone did - either that or the Voice of Saruman was powerful enough to sway the most powerful Eldar in ME.
 
Probably off topic but what was the composition of the White Council? I don't recall reading it anywhere (I only read Tolkien's works though)
 
Tar-Palantir:

Nice work, LOL! :D
Reminds me of...........

ME! :p

I think we went through something a while back on the make-up.

Elrond, Galadriel & Cirdan are definitely mentioned.

One can assume from what Glorfindel says at The Council Of Elrond, "It is clear now that even at the Council his (Saruman's) feet were already on a crooked path."
This certainly seems to be said in a first hand knowledge sort of way.
Also, he is called an "Elf lord from a house of princes" by Gandalf to Frodo.

Maybe Erestor, called cheif of the counsellors of Elrond's household (besides Glorfindel).

Probably Celeborn. Galadriel, while more 'powerful', calls him "The Lord of the Galadrim" & says he "is accounted the wisest of the Elves of Middle-Earth".

Possibly even Thrandruil too, although I doubt that as he seems like a bit of a jerk in The Hobbit. However, he IS king of a major power in the struggle against Evil, & is to whom they bring Gollum after capturing him.
BUT, thinking as I write this, he seems to be present in Northern Mirkwood when The White Council is meeting for the final time & Sauron retreats from Dol Guldur. However, as Gandalf reappears at the Battle of 5 Armies, I guess Thranduil could've left after the Dwarves escaped & come back with Gandalf.

Also, maybe Elrond's 2 sons.

So, there was probably at least 5 Elves, Elrond, Galadriel, Cirdan, Glorfindel & Celeborn, plus the 2 Wizards & maybe another 2-5 Elves who probably didn't have as much clout.

Now, Gandalf was never chosen to head the White Council & refused.
Galadriel wanted him, but he refused. Nothing's ever said that the job was his, just that he wouldn't take it.

So, I can see a dialogue where they debate the leadership & Galadriel says "How about Gandalf?"
& Gandalf says "I wouldn't take it even if you choose (or vote for) me." & then basically Saruman gets it.
But, also remember, Saruman wasn't necessarily 2nd choice. It only says Galadriel wanted Gandalf. Note:

1. Saruman was of the same 'people of Aule' as Sauron, so more like him in skills & knowledge.

2. Gandalf says to Frodo "He is the chief of my Order & mighty among The Wise."
 

Today's events

Back
Top