• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Thranduil Meets His Match

Pace pronounces síla more correctly than Stephen.

Just sayin'.
 
Last edited:
I do wish someone would teach Stephen how to pronounce "Aule".

(Sorry about the missing umlaut -- too much trouble on my phone).
 
As a German native speaker, let me make one thing perfectly clear (ouch! I'm channeling Richard Nixon!):
ä, ö and ü are regular umlauts. The Scandinavian languages do other strange things with their vowels (Turkish has quite a few umlauts, too).
But (MS character map to the rescue) "ë" looks like an extraterrestrial in any German sentence.
 
Aule does not need a diaeresis. SeS probably wanted one here to indicate that the final e isn't silent, considering the topic was about pronunciation.

(it's not really an umlaut in the sense of changing the sound of the vowel)
 
Aule does not need a diaeresis. SeS probably wanted one here to indicate that the final e isn't silent, considering the topic was about pronunciation.

(it's not really an umlaut in the sense of changing the sound of the vowel)

Correct. I thought Tolkien used one, but I appear to be mistaken.
Quick check in my copy of the Sil: clearly Aulë, and even in capitals AULË in the chapter title of chapter 2 of the Quenta Silmarillion.

I don't recall having ever seen ë or Ë anywhere except in JRRT's writings. In which language is this special letter used?
Is ë analog to é or è or ê in French?
 
IIRC he said he used it to indicate that the letter was to be pronounced. Final E is usually silent in modern English. He also used it to show where two vowels were to be pronounced separately, rather than as as a diphthong.

Hmm. So it appears I was right after all.
 
Correct. I thought Tolkien used one, but I appear to be mistaken.

What I mean is that the diaeresis is not needed 'cause Aule sounds the same as Aulë. And there is no "diaeresis" in the Elvish writing systems.
With a word like síla however, it is proper to include the acute accent to mark the long vowel.

Of course, the pronunciation is "altered" if one doesn't pronounce final -e, so that's why I thought you wanted it above. Tolkien used the diaeresis often enough, as we know (Eärendil, Aulë), but not wholly consistently.

In any case I think it helps some readers, and confuses others.
 
I don't recall having ever seen ë or Ë anywhere except in JRRT's writings. In which language is this special letter used? Is ë analog to é or è or ê in French

In Tolkien's orthography the diaeresis marks a vowel "unsilent" (like final e in Aule), or marks vowels in "hiatus", like in the word coöperate.

So you don't say cooperate . . . unless talking to chickens while trying to cut out a syllable ;)
 
Last edited:

Similar threads

Back
Top