• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Thranduil translation

Conquistadora

New Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2016
Messages
1
I would love to see some linguistically correct versions of Thranduil's name in Quenya. I only need it for a passing reference in a story I'm writing, but I've been curious for years.

My research, such as it is, has taken me through the elements of his Sindarin name, tharan and tuil, "Vigorous Spring." I've already spent a long evening determining that the spring in question is the sort of spring that comes after winter, not a spring of water. The nearest equivalents I can find in the available Quenya dictionaries are vëa and tuilë.

Vëatuilë just looks kind of sloppy, and I have no idea if it is technically correct or if we could pretty it up with some masculine suffixes or something.

Any help is appreciated.

Also, any thoughts on Oropher? Working with orna and feren, fernë.

Thanks!
 
I'm no expert but I think *Sarantuil might (!) be an acceptable "Quenyarization", which is not the same as a translation of course.

Primary stress: sarAntuil.

I know Quenya names like Nótuile preserve the final vowel, but in Quenya final l is also allowed and I'm going by what I like, plus wanting an ending a bit "more" like in Thranduil.

I also know you might not be around by now :) but anyway.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top