Lantarion
no house
- Joined
- Aug 19, 2001
- Messages
- 3,710
Welcome to the foru, Caranthalath! 
If you're too lazy to read the LotR + Silmarillion, the I suggest you get your rear in gear!!
Heh, but seriously though. You might understand the stuff in the movie a lot better if you read the book. It's much more exciting to find facts out yourself than to hear it from somebody else, am I right?
But as you seem to be lazy (and because I have nothing better to do
), I will explain the phrase.
):
The 'Secret Fire' would seem to refer to the Flame Imperishable, which is the creating spirit of Ilúvatar and by which He created the Ainur. So when gandalf says he is a Servant of the [Flame Imperishable] he might mean that he is the messenger of Doom and of Ilúvatar, as he is acting out the sequnce of events to be recorded in the history of the world.
Udûn also has a twofold meaning. It was a name for Melkor's fortress in Middle-Earth (Utumno), and was also referred to as 'Hell'. As Balrogs (Valaraukar) were spirits corrupted by melkor, the 'of Udûn' might mean that they are still serving the ourpose of their dark lord.
The flame of Anor I am not certain of, but I think this also might have symbolic meaning. Anor is the Sindarin name for the Sun. So when gandalf says he wields the flame of [the Sun] he might mean that he carries within him a fervor and hope that the Balrog would like to quench. So this phrase is an act of defiance towards the Balrog.
"Go back to the Shadow". Well, it's quite straightforward; it means "Go home!" ("Romani ite domum."
), "Go away!". A scornful dismissal.
Any more queations? READ THE SILMARILLION!!
If you're too lazy to read the LotR + Silmarillion, the I suggest you get your rear in gear!!
Heh, but seriously though. You might understand the stuff in the movie a lot better if you read the book. It's much more exciting to find facts out yourself than to hear it from somebody else, am I right?
But as you seem to be lazy (and because I have nothing better to do
This is, IMHO, one of the best quotes in the FotR. ANyway, here goes (I hope nobody beats me to it while I'm writing, it's annoying when that happens"You cannot pass," he said. The orcs stood still, and a dead silence fell. "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass."
The 'Secret Fire' would seem to refer to the Flame Imperishable, which is the creating spirit of Ilúvatar and by which He created the Ainur. So when gandalf says he is a Servant of the [Flame Imperishable] he might mean that he is the messenger of Doom and of Ilúvatar, as he is acting out the sequnce of events to be recorded in the history of the world.
Udûn also has a twofold meaning. It was a name for Melkor's fortress in Middle-Earth (Utumno), and was also referred to as 'Hell'. As Balrogs (Valaraukar) were spirits corrupted by melkor, the 'of Udûn' might mean that they are still serving the ourpose of their dark lord.
The flame of Anor I am not certain of, but I think this also might have symbolic meaning. Anor is the Sindarin name for the Sun. So when gandalf says he wields the flame of [the Sun] he might mean that he carries within him a fervor and hope that the Balrog would like to quench. So this phrase is an act of defiance towards the Balrog.
"Go back to the Shadow". Well, it's quite straightforward; it means "Go home!" ("Romani ite domum."
Any more queations? READ THE SILMARILLION!!

