Hello, everyone. I just joined this forum and I'd love to get your opinions on something. I just finished reading the Silmarillion for the second time, but the first time was ages ago, and I really didn't remember much of the details, which was awesome in a way because it was all new all over again. :*)
Ok, so I was just loving this book, both the amazing creativity and the pseudo-archaic structure which really helped me get lost in the whole world painted by Tolkien. I totally bought into it, which I think was why I was so jarred when I came to the chapter on Beren and Luthien. :*eek:
The way the story's played out seems so unlike the rest of the book, and most of what does my head in is the fairy tale nature of Luthien. The whole chapter seems more fairy-tale-like than the rest of the book, but Luthien is in a class by herself. As a half-maia, I'm sure she's supposed to have magical powers greater than the elves, but she's tossing them out all over the shop (unlike other actual maiar who call themselves wizards, I might add). :*(
The whole thing with growing her hair long to escape the tree/tower, and turning into a vampire (?) and flying about...the way she shuts down Sauron and puts the whole of Melkor's palace to sleep with a song...It was just way beyond suspension of disbelief (side note, if Finrod and the other elf lords can throw down songs of power, why don't they ever do that on the battlefield?).
Anyway, the whole thing seems like its of a completely different character than the rest of the book. Am I the only one thinking this? Am I just completely off base? Has my brain simply been turned to jelly by reading too many names in too short a time?
Ok, so I was just loving this book, both the amazing creativity and the pseudo-archaic structure which really helped me get lost in the whole world painted by Tolkien. I totally bought into it, which I think was why I was so jarred when I came to the chapter on Beren and Luthien. :*eek:
The way the story's played out seems so unlike the rest of the book, and most of what does my head in is the fairy tale nature of Luthien. The whole chapter seems more fairy-tale-like than the rest of the book, but Luthien is in a class by herself. As a half-maia, I'm sure she's supposed to have magical powers greater than the elves, but she's tossing them out all over the shop (unlike other actual maiar who call themselves wizards, I might add). :*(
The whole thing with growing her hair long to escape the tree/tower, and turning into a vampire (?) and flying about...the way she shuts down Sauron and puts the whole of Melkor's palace to sleep with a song...It was just way beyond suspension of disbelief (side note, if Finrod and the other elf lords can throw down songs of power, why don't they ever do that on the battlefield?).
Anyway, the whole thing seems like its of a completely different character than the rest of the book. Am I the only one thinking this? Am I just completely off base? Has my brain simply been turned to jelly by reading too many names in too short a time?
