~L~ All right, all right, don't jump out on me! I was just making a hypothesis...If the Bombadil issue were so easy to resolve, it wouldn't have been the grand mystery it is... 
Gaffer, I think that Elrond indicates that Tom Bombadil goes by many names, and the Valar themselves go by many names, so nominology isn't really an issue...
I'm sure Gandalf would have known about Tom being a Vala, but, think about it. If he did know, would he tell anyone? "Hey, fellas, there's a Vala living in the Withywindle, let's all pay him a visit and ask for autographs and favours!"...
Naaaah...
Bucky, you seem to be very knowledgeable on the issue...I'd be glad to hear your suggestion on the issue...
I would like to state, though, that if we want to be nit-picky about Tom's speech, then it should be pointed out that "Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn"...from that, one can judge that Tom can't be a Maia that arrived in Arda belatedly.
From what I remember from the 1st Book of Lost Tales, when [Part III, I think...or is that IV] it refers to the Valar coming to Middle Earth, Manwe and Varda in particular, it is written that "Now swiftly as they fared, Melkor was there before them...".
I take that as a clue that Melkor was the first "creature" to enter Arda.
Admittedly, your quote from the Silmarillion would counter that [is the Silmarillion more valid than the Books of Lost Tales? Which comes chronologically after LotR?], but I've always thought that te Valar came and went in Arda for some time...and while Melkor was back in the Outside, the Valar crafted the world...
After all, Treebeard claims to be the oldest living thing to still walk beneath the Sun... Tom also says he's the Eldest...That seems to be quite a conflict... except if Tom isn't "living", in the strict sense of the word... so, he's either Eru, a Vala, or a Maia.
Tom can't have been around before Melkor, because, I believe, Melkor was the first one to enter Arda...And, in any case, the hobbits don't know of any other "Dark Lord" exept Sauron. If Tom referred to Melkor, he should have used a different nomination, one that hobbits would be able to understand [in the Two Towers, it becomes obvious that the hobbits know about the theft of the Silmarills by Melkor (Morgoth)]
So, it's Maia, Vala, Eru. Maiar are influenced by the Ring, and Tom isn't, so he can't be a Maia.
Ultimately, he must be either a Vala or Eru. If he IS a Vala, then I think that it boils down to Aule. He can't ne the warlike Tulka or Orome; Manwe sounds too important to visit Middle-Earth; Ulmo most likely has never dwelt on land; Irmo and Mandos are the spirit guardians, so they can't really go outside Valinor. Guess who is singled out...
I think that Aule looks like Tom in many aspects. He is not posessive, and he is very interested in the Children of Illuvatar. Gandalf found the hobbits fascinating, so, why wouldn't a Vala that likes the Children of Illuvatar, also like to be close to hobbits? If Aule were to appear to hobbits, wouldn't he look much like Tom, always happy and dancing and singing?
Singing...that is a key element...the Ainur were the ones that sang the melody which spun Arda... And the Valar were the greatest of the Ainur... In some way, Tom controlled the Old Willow Man with singing..."I know the tune for him", Tom said.
I still rest my case that Tom is Aule... Not too probable, but possible, nonetheless...
SBS
Gaffer, I think that Elrond indicates that Tom Bombadil goes by many names, and the Valar themselves go by many names, so nominology isn't really an issue...
I'm sure Gandalf would have known about Tom being a Vala, but, think about it. If he did know, would he tell anyone? "Hey, fellas, there's a Vala living in the Withywindle, let's all pay him a visit and ask for autographs and favours!"...
Naaaah...
Bucky, you seem to be very knowledgeable on the issue...I'd be glad to hear your suggestion on the issue...
I would like to state, though, that if we want to be nit-picky about Tom's speech, then it should be pointed out that "Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn"...from that, one can judge that Tom can't be a Maia that arrived in Arda belatedly.
From what I remember from the 1st Book of Lost Tales, when [Part III, I think...or is that IV] it refers to the Valar coming to Middle Earth, Manwe and Varda in particular, it is written that "Now swiftly as they fared, Melkor was there before them...".
I take that as a clue that Melkor was the first "creature" to enter Arda.
Admittedly, your quote from the Silmarillion would counter that [is the Silmarillion more valid than the Books of Lost Tales? Which comes chronologically after LotR?], but I've always thought that te Valar came and went in Arda for some time...and while Melkor was back in the Outside, the Valar crafted the world...
After all, Treebeard claims to be the oldest living thing to still walk beneath the Sun... Tom also says he's the Eldest...That seems to be quite a conflict... except if Tom isn't "living", in the strict sense of the word... so, he's either Eru, a Vala, or a Maia.
Tom can't have been around before Melkor, because, I believe, Melkor was the first one to enter Arda...And, in any case, the hobbits don't know of any other "Dark Lord" exept Sauron. If Tom referred to Melkor, he should have used a different nomination, one that hobbits would be able to understand [in the Two Towers, it becomes obvious that the hobbits know about the theft of the Silmarills by Melkor (Morgoth)]
So, it's Maia, Vala, Eru. Maiar are influenced by the Ring, and Tom isn't, so he can't be a Maia.
Ultimately, he must be either a Vala or Eru. If he IS a Vala, then I think that it boils down to Aule. He can't ne the warlike Tulka or Orome; Manwe sounds too important to visit Middle-Earth; Ulmo most likely has never dwelt on land; Irmo and Mandos are the spirit guardians, so they can't really go outside Valinor. Guess who is singled out...
I think that Aule looks like Tom in many aspects. He is not posessive, and he is very interested in the Children of Illuvatar. Gandalf found the hobbits fascinating, so, why wouldn't a Vala that likes the Children of Illuvatar, also like to be close to hobbits? If Aule were to appear to hobbits, wouldn't he look much like Tom, always happy and dancing and singing?
Singing...that is a key element...the Ainur were the ones that sang the melody which spun Arda... And the Valar were the greatest of the Ainur... In some way, Tom controlled the Old Willow Man with singing..."I know the tune for him", Tom said.
I still rest my case that Tom is Aule... Not too probable, but possible, nonetheless...
SBS
