• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

What Race is 👁️Sauron?

Pip no need to apologize. Most folks here don't mind answering questions and educating. As was said, he was one of the Maia who flocked to Melkor and was the mightiest of his Lieutenants. (sp?)
 
I believe that Suaron could take many forms, fair or foul, before his physical body got destroyed in the downfall of Nuemenor. After that he always appeared dark and terrible.
 
Originally posted by Wulf of Dunland
That was his real name, as was Mithrandir for example. Many characters have many different names. All are real.
Well, not actually. His original name was Olórin, being the first name he was given by the Elves of Valinor. All other names were nicknames or epitaphs, like Mithrandir which means "Grey wanderer". (mith, 'grey'; randir, 'wanderer': compare with Quenya Rána, 'Wayward, Wanderer', one of the names for the Moon).
 
Reading order

I read Silmarilion right after the Hobbit, too. I was 12, I think. I was fortunate enough too find a copy in my thrift store. It is unbelievably good, MUCH more "mythy" than LOTR and exponentially beyond the Hobbit. if you're just a casual reader you might find it a bit dull...I loved it. I've read it at least 3 times, parts much more. Very tragic tone.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top