• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

What weapons do you own?

That top knife is a custom designed fantasy dagger, meaning the customer told the sword maker what he wanted and the craftsman made it.
I.e. it is a bespoke dagger. I'm pretty sure there are no true daggers (historically ) that looked like that.
The second one I believe is an exaggerated leaf blade modeled after short swords of the bronze age.
It long predates by more than 1000 years the short swords used by soldiers of the Roman Republic and Roman Empire, which had straight blades.

CL
 
Plus, the Kukri, the blade of the Gurkha, is quite 'leaf-shaped'.

CL
See my earlier post... I edited to add some curved shaped bladed weapons (that may or may not be leaf shaped), and Khukuri is an alternate spelling of kukri... I had only seen it with the longer spelling.
Also I was limiting my discussion to straight bladed leaf shaped weapons (like Glamdring and Sting)
 
See my earlier post... I edited to add some curved shaped bladed weapons (that may or may not be leaf shaped), and Khukuri is an alternate spelling of kukri... I had only seen it with the longer spelling.
Also I was limiting my discussion to straight bladed leaf shaped weapons (like Glamdring and Sting)
Ah, apologies, my mistake.


Whoops.


CL
 
The second one I believe is an exaggerated leaf blade modeled after short swords of the bronze age.
It might not be all that exaggerated, here's a xiphos on a vase from around 390 BC:
330px-Death_Actaeon_BM_VaseF176.jpg


And here are some real examples:
347px-Two_xiphe%2C_a_kopis_and_spearheads_from_Thessaloniki_museum.jpg


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiphos
 

Similar threads

Back
Top