Yikes! Lots to respond to! And I don't use quotes to show people what point of the debate I'm referring to! oh well. We'll figure it out. Without quotes, people can still look at the originals when I seem to be responding to them. Much like how I possess the ability to type about things in
books without giving quotes. If people think I'm crazy, they can always check on it or take my word for it. They can have fun either way.
Towards the idea of souls not being created by
Eru for later generations of
Orcs and, presumably,
dragons ---> This is one of many points where I disagree with
Tolkien. How does it make sense? If they have no souls, they are just robots or
animals? Was Mel, and later,
Sauron constantly feeding instructions for every little thing into every little
Orc and, presumably,
dragon? Or did they just give the general instructions of, "Act like you hate the things I hate. Yeah, be really vile. Cause lots of destruction. Don't leave me armyless but always fulfill this quota of self-destruction. You know, 'cuz it makes others fear you."

Okay, so animals makes more sense, but then, check out how intelligent and independent
Glaurung and
Smaug are. I have no problem with calling Tolkien incorrect, but how's about I bring up the idea that
spirits were always volunteering to inhabit new bodies? Mel could capture
elf and, presumably, other spirits. Why not insert them where they're needed? And spirits can always pop into inanimate
objects, it seems, at least with those dragons.
Towards Smaug being weaker than an (only presumably) original
balrog, just because he is an at least second generation dragon ---> Do you have an idea on how powerful the original dragons were versus the average balrog? I, of course, figure that they were lots stronger than
balrogs, but I am unsure about exactly how much weaker the next generation would be. Do you have an idea on that?
Feanor was plenty powerful for a second generation elf.
Eonwe (in some versions) is plenty powerful for a second generation
Ainur type thing.
Shelob might be able to eat as much light as she wants and could merely have been annoyed by the light and in the mood for
hobbit. Smaug was huge and plenty powerful. The average balrog is a lot less huge and of ill-defined power.
Towards Smaug's character ---> I see no need for quotes. You type that it should be obvious to anyone who has read that The Hobbit book that Smaug would eagerly sign up for helping Sauron out with fighting the world for the untrustworthy guy's promise of gold. I type that it should be obvious to anyone who has read that The Hobbit book that he never encountered any situations like that, nor did he display any overly trusting moments. Yes, he was a fan of gold. He fought one mountain of
Dwarves and a few humans to get some, then minded his own business until he was bothered. He displayed no ambition for obtaining more gold. He seems more like an offended hermit, to myself, than a greedy, blood-thirsty, and naive pawn.
Towards this hierarchy versus any other approach thing ---> Has it not been proved plenty of times that the hierarchy means less than the individuals? You have quotes that I've been arguing that don't prove that every balrog has more power than every dragon. Even if they do, the power that the quotes are talking about is another ill-defined thing. We know how Mel spent lots of his. We don't know the rules on spending power or the many ways that it could automatically be in use. Was a balrog faster than lightning and able to lift a continent? I don't know, but it is possible, from what I've read. Not very probable, though. Sauron, more powerful than a balrog, ran away from a big dog. Tolkien hasn't given us Smaug's stats, but I don't see why he couldn't smash
Huan with one claw.
Towards what you had to type about poor
Smeagol ---> You can't come to the conclusion that poor Smeagol could kill a balrog because you figure it to be contrary as well as contradictory to what Tolkien intended? I don't remember Tolkien writing about intending anything regarding poor Smeagol in a fight with a balrog. Evidence that he could beat a balrog ---> Tolkien is quite complimentary regarding poor Smeagol, at times. He writes that he has a large amount of courage, so I figure that if poor Smeagol wanted to kill a balrog, he wouldn't be affected by its fear ability. He gives plenty examples of the guy's cleverness, strength, and endurance. A balrog can be killed (somehow and nonsensically, to myself) with a
sword thrust to the area of fire where a heart would be on a human. Mayhaps they could also be killed via strangulation? Poor Smeagol could endure the fire to accomplish his goal, I figure. I have seen no evidence that balrogs are especially intelligent or observant. Poor Smeagol could easily sneak up on the guy. The only problem with would be his strength versus the balrog's. Tolkien never gives examples on how strong they are. Yes, assumptions could be made, but why not agree with me?

Poor Smeagol killed plenty of Orcs, at the least, so we know that he could take down at least an elf, which I have no problem equating them to.
There might have been some other points in there. Tell me if I forgot to challenge something that anybody thinks is especially important. Also, we should totally invite
Harad back. He was another one of my favorites.
