Barliman Butterbur
Worthy Keeper/Bree Roué
- Joined
- Dec 7, 2003
- Messages
- 2,762

Barliman Butterbur said:
I missed many of the posts in this thread while I was away for a few weeks. Interesting posts everyone. As to the different races of elves and men in Middle Earth, the individual races all play important, and different, roles in the history of Middle Earth. Thus there are obvious reasons for Tolkien creating them as part of the story. There seems to be no such justification for the races of hobbits. After their introduction in the opening material of LOTR, they are virtually never mentioned again. Certainly there is no indication that the three kinds of hobbits played different roles in the history of Middle Earth. I continue to view the creation of the three kinds of hobbits as another example of Tolkien filling his work with extraneous, some would say unnecessary, detail the true purpose of which was to give a feeling of a complex, real world. Something in which he succeeded doing incredibly well.Barliman Butterbur said:
Greenwood said:...I had merely meant why have multiple races of hobbits instead of just one...
Barley,Barliman Butterbur said:Taking up a notion from another thread: this might have been a kind of "natural selection" (and so had a genetic component of some sort) in play. After all, in the real world, the various races of man (and animals and plants, not to put too fine a point on it) evolved as a function of interaction with local geography, climate, and survival conditions over geologic time.
Greenwood said:Barley...we should not forget that we are dealing with a wholly fictitious world here, created from the mind of one man. As I said earlier, my view is that Tolkien created all this extraneous and often unnecessary detail so as to make Middle Earth feel like a real world...
Barley,Barliman Butterbur said:Exactly. And this is precisely why I rarely delve into the sort of conjecture we've been dealing with (the genetic element, etc.). I know that it's a great deal of fun for many TTFers to play the "what-if", "why not" and "how come" games, but for me, such speculation only leads to more of the same in infinite regress (or progress, depending on your view). That's why I prefer simply to read the tales, read books by JRR & C about the tales, see the movies, and be entertained!
So far as I have seen or can tell, there doesn't appear to be any evidence in Tolkien’s writings for Hobbits having either Elvish or Dwarvish blood. Tolkien explicitly describes Hobbits as a branch of Men, and he is never subtle when interbreeding occurs elsewhere in his legendarium. Elvish blood always carries metaphysical consequences, and no such traits appear among Hobbits. Dwarves, meanwhile, are a separate created people with no recorded unions with any other race. The similarities people sense are cultural and moral, not genealogical. Hobbits are not hybrids — they are Men who chose smallness over power.Thank you all for your comments. Just the sort of thing I was hoping for. I had not meant my original question to stress the number three. I had merely meant why have multiple races of hobbits instead of just one. However, Ithrynluin, you make a very interesting suggestion that the three races of hobbits were meant to reflect the three kinds of free peoples of Middle Earth: dwarves, elves and men. I believe hobbits are supposed to be a small form of men, but that the three kinds might represent in some way dwarves, elves and men is indeed interesting. In his Prologue, Tolkien says:Certainly hobbits being a form of men would fit with Tolkien's broader cosmology of elves and men being the Children of Iluvatar and dwarves being a creation of Aule (then given independent life by Eru). That cosmology really doesn't leave any room for another independent creation for hobbits. Of course, none of this negates your interesting idea, Ithrynluin, of the three kinds of hobbits mirroring the three free peoples.
Ardamir,
I look forward to hearing your evidence for any hobbits having either dwarvish or elvish blood.
Astute.they are Men who chose smallness over power.
Yes, I rather enjoyed that as well, good observation........ this soup is quite delicious, but then Tolkien's meals whether soup, meat n taters, or lembas "waybread" is usually appetizing and delightful!That said, I'm not saying this is the answer to the thread's question, nor am I saying Shippey would say so; rather, in my fractured mind I think it's part of an answer, leaving plenty of other ingredients to help flavour this very tasty soup.
Well said—and I think you’ve put your finger on something essential when you frame Hobbits as a community shaped by contentment rather than as moral unicorns without variation.Astute.
Hobbits have varied branches within them just as do the Elves, the Orcs, and others. The reasons why are relatively obvious as we look at the real world, which Tolkien fully intended them to represent just as do the rest of the peoples. (Yes, even including the Orcs.)
The Hobbits are there to reveal what happens when we choose to "be content with such things as we have" - (Scriptural foundation, if anyone is interested: Hebrews 13:5, 1 Tim 6:8 and numerous others) - as opposed to clamoring for more. Now.. that doesn't mean there aren't some hobbits of 'different mindset' within them... our dear @Lobelia B. S-B represents one of those at first, in Tolkien's world... but circumstances produce a much changed nature in her in the end. (Another of Tolkien's intents with his characters. Every character he created has its distinct purposes.)
p.s. - there are also reasons why there is a COMMUNITY of people 'content with such things as they have" - the Hobbits - yet we find individual people here and there in the other races ALSO 'content with such things as they have' right where they're at. Why is that do you think? What is Tolkien trying to say to us?
To one degree, the Hobbits represent what society COULD be, if it left off lust, greed, and the never-ending hunt for more power. However, this is just one of the things they represent. (Note, they don't even really have much government, and what government they have is totally devoted to serving the people in the most menial of ways.)
So again, as we look at each 'society', what is it we see?
For example - what does Bree represent? What is Tolkien trying to say there?
As we just keep drilling, we find all that is, there. It is no wonder it all seems so 'real.' Among Fantasy and Mythology, Tolkien is well beyond the others.
Somewhere there's a thread about what's out there "like Tolkien" to be read. In a word, there is nothing "like Tolkien." Oh there are worlds, and very interesting reads. But there is nothing "like"* Tolkien.
*Like - Definition:
--- 1. having THE SAME characteristics or qualities of.
--- 2. in the SAME WAY as.
There are some "similar." There are none "like."