• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

🐲Dragons above the Iron Hills

Dáin Ironfoot I

Vive la revolution!
Joined
Dec 1, 2002
Messages
973
I know I have read somewhere that there could have been dragons still living in the wastelands north of the Iron Hills? What do you guys think of this... I am fairly sure I read it in the appendix.
 
I don't think there is any definite number of dragons available.

There were dragons living North of the Grey Mountains, not the Iron Hills. A cold-drake slew Dáin I, and it is quite likely that more of its kind were lurking in the cold and barren wastes of the North.
 
Yes Ered Mithrin means Grey mountains. Behind them is the Withered Heath, the abode of dragons supposedly.
Smaug was maybe the last of the "fire-drakes" and only the cold-drakes (which were said to be less powerful) remained.
 
I think they were all extinguished in the time of LOTR. When Gandalf talks about the destruction of Smaug as a possible weapon of Sauron out of way, he doesn't for a moment entertain the idea of dragons still living in the north that could ally with Sauron.
 
Smaug was the last of the fire drakes. The cold drake that killed Dáin I wasn't slain, and there were quite possibly more of its kind in the North.
 
Could there be any connection between the Ring Wraiths flying mounts and these 'cold drakes' (a term I'm wholly unfamiliar with)?

thanks,
T
 
Originally posted by pgt
Could there be any connection between the Ring Wraiths flying mounts and these 'cold drakes' (a term I'm wholly unfamiliar with)?


I don't think that was the case. I think that the steeds of the Nine were corrupted creatures of some kind. They just don't strike me as being "cold" and it seems that the cold drakes would stick more to the frozen regions of the Northern wastes.

Smaug and Scatha were the last fire drakes, not the last dragons period.

:)
 
Letters #144 4/25/1954
Dragons. They have not stopped; since they were active in far later times, close to our own. Have I said anything to suggest the final ending of dragons? If so it should be altered. The only passage I can think of is Vol. I p. 70: 'there is not now any dragon left on earth in which the old fire is hot enough'. But this implies, I think, that there are still dragons, if not of full primeval stature.
 
I always viewed the northern wastelands as just that, utter wastelands that were left barren from Morgoth's rule. I also remember getting the impression for The Hobbit that that region was still inhabited by dragons, just none that were as powerful as Smaug.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top