Ithrynluin
seeker of solace
- Joined
- Apr 27, 2002
- Messages
- 4,602

Well, thank you, Ithy! TTF isnāt a court, but Illuin makes a fair request, and one I canāt provide right now. I donāt have time to dig out all the citations, link them together into a strong argument, and defend them. But I think itās an important enough subject to return to it later: when I read the material for the first time after Readerās Companion was released, I was surprised. I think there is also some material regarding this in HoME, but that would require more time for research, too. So until I can do that, Iāll have to withdraw the statement and sit with a little egg on my face.Woah, hold yer horses, Alcuin, this is not a court.
I was interested in the reasoning behind those statements, because they seemed to me to be heavy on speculation. Did I tell you yet I really enjoy reading your posts?
Is that a āruleā? I donāt quite understand: if we cite from Readerās Companion, we must also cite all the references from the LotR text as well? That seems to be a peculiar burden for using Readerās Companion.Don't forget, if you cite material from the Reader's Companion to back your case, Include information on the original Tolkien sources that were used By the Author.
Is that a āruleā? I donāt quite understand: if we cite from Readerās Companion, we must also cite all the references from the LotR text as well? That seems to be a peculiar burden for using Readerās Companion.
I agree, that would be of little use. In this case, however, Hammond and Scull have published Tolkienās notes and timelines: the movements of the NazgĆ»l as they hunt Frodo from The Shire to the Fords of Bruinen, for instance; or the movements of Gollum as he follows Frodo from Moria to the Dead Marshes. Those, I think, are outside the realm of āopinionā and fall into the category of Tolkienās working material. The references in such cases are obvious, āin my opinion.āThe problem with using a secondary source is that you are relying on the interpretation of someone other than Tolkien. On checking the original source others might come to a different opinion.
by Alcuin
Well, thank you, Ithy! TTF isnāt a court, but Illuin makes a fair request, and one I canāt provide right now.
. Actually, Iām just looking to engage in good conversation whenever the opportunity arises. I agree with you that the RC is a useful; genuine work (and fun as well); itās just that I donāt remember reading that about our little subject; and skimming through, I canāt seem to find it now. Oh well, no biggie; just having some fun. By the way; I still canāt make out your avatar. What is that thing?Donāt apologize! Itās a legitimate question, and a good request: I just donāt have time to chase down the citations, which would take several hours, and then write up all the arguments, which would take more hours, and then defend the position for a week or two while it was thoroughly vetted and debated. But Iād still like to revisit the subject later.Sorry I created such a stir.
Thatās the legendary Black Beast of Aaaaarrrrrrggghhh!By the way; I still canāt make out your avatar. What is that thing?
). Canāt believe I forgot that. Last time I saw The Holy Grail I was living in Naples Florida in 86-88ā. Seems like yesterday. I agree, that would be of little use. In this case, however, Hammond and Scull have published Tolkienās notes and timelines: the movements of the NazgĆ»l as they hunt Frodo from The Shire to the Fords of Bruinen, for instance; or the movements of Gollum as he follows Frodo from Moria to the Dead Marshes. Those, I think, are outside the realm of āopinionā and fall into the category of Tolkienās working material. The references in such cases are obvious, āin my opinion.ā
Readerās Companion is only useful to the degree that it provides us a source for these working materials, which are both extensive and housed at two separate sites. (Most of them, I think, are in the library at Marquette, but not all.) Tolkien worked out phases of the moon; the weather; and most importantly to discussions of LotR, the movements and motivations of the secondary characters whose narrative we do not read in LotR. In that sense, Companion is a fundamentally different work from, say, Fosterās Guide to Middle-earth, which is a mixed compendium of reference and opinion.
Exactly. Properly framed, though, and with thorough documentation (for which you asked), the argument becomes much stronger; and combined with the working material from RC that Tolkien used to trace the movements of Gollum, the NazgĆ»l that Legolas shot down along the Anduin, the extensive material on the movements of the orcs, and the material on the back-and-forth between Sauron and Saruman (the background of Sauronās initial, mistaken query of Pippin, āWhy have you neglected to report for so long?ā for which extensive reference can also be found in HoME; but as best as I can recollect only the timelines in RC), the argument becomes much stronger.There is some āimpliedā (though somewhat of a stretch) statements in āThe Hunt for the Ringā in UT as well. Well, Iāll agree with you at least with the āimplicationā theory. If I were to make an educated guess; I āmight assumeā that they both were aware ābeforeā DB's demise; but after DB's demise; if someone were to bet me a nice chunk of change; I would bet our two villains were certainly aware. There is just no concrete documentation.
I know the feeling: Iām feeling it right now. Does ā
ā mean that today is your birthday?Fair enough, but only to a degree. You do not require this of material cited from 12 volumes of HoME, UT, Ćsanwe-kenta (which was edited and annotated by Carl Hostetter from Tolkienās notes, just as RC is edited and annotated by Hammond and Scull), or any of the other books that I can think of.And in using a secondary source without any information as to the original source material you are assuming that everybody is conversant with the book you are citing and therefore knows what sources the authors used. Certainly in the case where something is only implied (even if very strongly) noting in general what the original sources are can help those less conversant with the book and author (myself included) to judge the cited information.
by Alcuin
In fact, assuming that Bombadil is a Maia (at least within the confines of the story; admittedly, this is a controversial position), there are three āgoodā Maiar and three ābadā Maiar in the story. The three good Maiar would be Gandalf, Radagast, and Bombadil; and the three bad Maiar would be Sauron, Saruman, and the Balrog.
by Prince of Cats
Happy Birthday, Illuin! Shake off those frown's and save em for a confrontation, today you should be treating yourself
And as for RC, I think I have to buy it