That's certainly a main thrust for the note, but not the only information it provides. If (for a silly example) the rejected passage had the name
KhrÚme Brûlée for the second Chief
, and the revised passage had
Khamûl . . . well, I said it was silly.
Do you mean that it's nasty that I offer a possible second way to view this evidence? Above I put the word
might in italics to stress this, and certainly didn't intend it to be nasty.
I wouldn't call your statements wrong, and I fully understand your thinking here, and why the UT index reads as it does -- the same character is no doubt involved, and especially given these names, both having "East suggestions" (as I said above),
"it hardly seems a point worth wrangling over (not that anyone is), considering the suggestion of both descriptions."
That said, so far,
if indeed there is no other reference to
Khamul as the "Black
Easterling",
maybe Tolkien simply thought
"Shadow of the East" was
"cooler" than "Black Easterling". . . maybe JRRT was thinking of what Khamul might mean in some language, and changed BE for some, possibly fleeting "linguistic reason"
Maybe he was going to retain both BE and SE. And maybe he intended that "BE" was incorrectly given by certain folks, due to some false rumor, or purposely false information . . . Is that last statement nasty, or am I trying to keep the tone of this post light? I intend the second reason, in any case.
Or maybe, as the late, great
Halfir has suggested at the
Tolkien Fanatics Forum, Tolkien was better off giving the
Nazgul no "names" (outside of the title
Witch-King of course) in the author-published sources, as this would arguably stamp the idea that
the Nine had lost themselves/identities to
Sauron's will.
Anyway, note one tells us more than the number of Nazgul compared to the author-published description in Appendix B. However you interpret it, CJRT also chose to tell the reader that in the rejected passage, the unnamed second to the Chief was called BE, compared to the revised version, in which we find Khamul and SE rather.
I'll
"pause" here đŸ