• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Narsil Tattoo Translation Help

ShardsofNarsil32

New Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2022
Messages
16
Hello! I am pretty well set on getting this Narsil tattoo on my shoulder, however I want to make sure that the script around the image is in Sindarin or Quenya as opposed to the language of Mordor - any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
1099DFD5-7A38-46BC-8BE8-E4F277FDD3D7.jpeg
 
Hello! I am pretty well set on getting this Narsil tattoo on my shoulder, however I want to make sure that the script around the image is in Sindarin or Quenya as opposed to the language of Mordor - any guidance would be greatly appreciated! View attachment 14510
As I said on your previous post- I am fairly certain that this is indeed the language of Mordor (most commonly called 'The Black Speech of Mordor'). If you are looking for Sindarin or Quenya, what do you want it to say? As far as I can tell, the above depiction is the Shards of Narsil surrounded/circled by the inscription seen on the One Ring. The only difference is the absence of certain accents above letters.

If you were hoping for a text in Sindarin or Quenya, tell me the language and what wording you want, along with whether you want a translation also or just a transcription, and maybe include what font you would like also. I can help you- I just need this critical info to do so.
 
As I said on your previous post- I am fairly certain that this is indeed the language of Mordor (most commonly called 'The Black Speech of Mordor'). If you are looking for Sindarin or Quenya, what do you want it to say? As far as I can tell, the above depiction is the Shards of Narsil surrounded/circled by the inscription seen on the One Ring. The only difference is the absence of certain accents above letters.

If you were hoping for a text in Sindarin or Quenya, tell me the language and what wording you want, along with whether you want a translation also or just a transcription, and maybe include what font you would like also. I can help you- I just need this critical info to do so.
Apologies, I am still getting used to how to operate within this forum - I very much appreciate your help!
The central theme to this tattoo is that it includes the following passage, so I am very concerned with getting the inscription correct - correct in this case being in either Sindarin or Quenya, and most definitely not in the language of Mordor:

From the ashes a fire shall be woken
A light from the shadow shall spring
Renewed shall be blade that was broken
The crownless again shall be king

Having this quote in a circular design around Narsil is essential for me - I am considering having the text circulate the tattoo in English, as with the interior line of the attached image, but would prefer for it to be in one of Tolkien's languages if it works aesthetically.

Once again I appreciate any guidance!
 

Attachments

  • Narsil Script.jpg
    Narsil Script.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 54
Tolkien didn’t translate this poem into either Quenya or Sindarin and using a Neo-translation is of course a bit risky for something as permanent as a tattoo, but if that’s a risk you are willing to take, here are two takes I can recommend.

Quenya (by Röandil, Tengwar Transcription: Classical Mode)
Litsello ruinë caltaina nauva
Cálë huinello ettuluva
Envinyanta nauva macil racina
Aran i ríanca ennauva


Sindarin (by Elaran, Tengwar Transcription: General Mode, Mode of Beleriand)
Od i lith naur echuidathar
Calad of iñ gwaith tuiatha
Megil i rangen cýrathar
Alrin adan adolatha
 
Tolkien didn’t translate this poem into either Quenya or Sindarin and using a Neo-translation is of course a bit risky for something as permanent as a tattoo, but if that’s a risk you are willing to take, here are two takes I can recommend.

Quenya (by Röandil, Tengwar Transcription: Classical Mode)
Litsello ruinë caltaina nauva
Cálë huinello ettuluva
Envinyanta nauva macil racina
Aran i ríanca ennauva


Sindarin (by Elaran, Tengwar Transcription: General Mode, Mode of Beleriand)
Od i lith naur echuidathar
Calad of iñ gwaith tuiatha
Megil i rangen cýrathar
Alrin adan adolatha
Yes. This is the translation as far as I can tell, however neo-translations are dangerous. I might recommend a simple transcription rather than a full translation, as I think it holds more possibility of being accurate.
 
Yes. This is the translation as far as I can tell, however neo-translations are dangerous. I might recommend a simple transcription rather than a full translation, as I think it holds more possibility of being accurate.
Thank you both!! Would you know what language the attached script has been translated into? If it’s the right language and I can get the tattoo artist to make the text circulate around Narsil I might be set -
684A25B3-C1BF-4260-96C8-897A6CAE2EF1.jpeg
 
That's English, at a glance. A glance won't do regarding the accuracy of the transcription, but the language is English.
 
Thank you both!! Would you know what language the attached script has been translated into? If it’s the right language and I can get the tattoo artist to make the text circulate around Narsil I might be set - View attachment 14537
Others have echoed this true, but I guess I'll give my answer too. It is a Tengwar transcription of an English text.

Just a note: Nearly all 'Elvish translators' are actually Elvish transcriptions, meaning that they take english and put it into the Tengwar alphabet. There are a few 'Elvish translators' that attempt to translate something into the language of Elvish (mainly Sindarin) but most all of these sites that I have seen, fail at it miserably. You were right to come to a Forum, I would say it is the most accurate place to find a translation-- aside from your own mind if you study Elvish language. However, even though I have associated myself with Elvish languages for quite some time, I would still seek secondary opinions for a tattoo.
 
Others have echoed this true, but I guess I'll give my answer too. It is a Tengwar transcription of an English text.

Just a note: Nearly all 'Elvish translators' are actually Elvish transcriptions, meaning that they take english and put it into the Tengwar alphabet. There are a few 'Elvish translators' that attempt to translate something into the language of Elvish (mainly Sindarin) but most all of these sites that I have seen, fail at it miserably. You were right to come to a Forum, I would say it is the most accurate place to find a translation-- aside from your own mind if you study Elvish language. However, even though I have associated myself with Elvish languages for quite some time, I would still seek secondary opinions for a tattoo.

Excellent, good deal - I will be happy with an accurate Tengwar translation/depiction. I am also trying to incorporate my military experience into the tattoo, would either you or Gilruin know the translation for "12B"? That was my MOS (Combat Engineer) in the Army. I plan to place Tolkien's personal symbol and the 12B translation on either side of Narsil's blade.
 
Here is my suggestion for the other two lines
1658334873632.png

As for the “12B”, I would suggest
1658335415104.png

However, Tengwar Numerals are a rather problematic subject. We have a description by Christopher Tolkien, but the numerals we know from the King‘s Letter, the only numerals we know from Tolkien directly look different. I have opted for an extrapolation of the King’s Letter numerals here. Also, I don’t think Tenwar Numerals actually look that good for codes like this, so if I were you, I’d just have “12B” in our alphabet in some matching style.
 
Here is my suggestion for the other two lines
View attachment 14551
As for the “12B”, I would suggest
View attachment 14552
However, Tengwar Numerals are a rather problematic subject. We have a description by Christopher Tolkien, but the numerals we know from the King‘s Letter, the only numerals we know from Tolkien directly look different. I have opted for an extrapolation of the King’s Letter numerals here. Also, I don’t think Tenwar Numerals actually look that good for codes like this, so if I were you, I’d just have “12B” in our alphabet in some matching style.


This is perfect, I think I have just about everything I need - can't thank you and Elbereth enough!!

One final question - is the circular scrip in this image identical or close to the translation that you have sent me? The trick for me will be getting the text in circular form with my less than zero artistic ability :) I plan to use the image of Narsil in this picture and incorporate elements of the other images I've posted from there. Would be fantastic if the script in place was already accurate:
 

Attachments

  • Narsil Final Script.jpg
    Narsil Final Script.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 44
This is perfect, I think I have just about everything I need - can't thank you and Elbereth enough!!

One final question - is the circular scrip in this image identical or close to the translation that you have sent me? The trick for me will be getting the text in circular form with my less than zero artistic ability :) I plan to use the image of Narsil in this picture and incorporate elements of the other images I've posted from there. Would be fantastic if the script in place was already accurate:
I'm sorry to say this-- but that is the Ring inscription I am fairly certain.

So, no. It isn't an accurate translation. As for putting it in a circular form, I recommend (if you are actually drawing it on yourself) using a plastic cup or paper cut out and drawing your Elvish around that. If this is just a tattoo place where you need to draw it on a piece of paper, I recommend finding the image on a mobile device and placing the paper over your computer in a dark room. The light from the computer image will shine through and all you have to do is trace it.
 
I'm sorry to say this-- but that is the Ring inscription I am fairly certain.

So, no. It isn't an accurate translation. As for putting it in a circular form, I recommend (if you are actually drawing it on yourself) using a plastic cup or paper cut out and drawing your Elvish around that. If this is just a tattoo place where you need to draw it on a piece of paper, I recommend finding the image on a mobile device and placing the paper over your computer in a dark room. The light from the computer image will shine through and all you have to do is trace it.
Are we sure on this one? Attached are the two translations I’ve been given and they look very similar to the circular text in the tattoo:
 

Attachments

  • 4A9D9758-3D89-4EA7-A7CD-D9CFDE2EF3E9.jpeg
    4A9D9758-3D89-4EA7-A7CD-D9CFDE2EF3E9.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 56
  • E0FE27CC-61DC-407D-BC4C-CB82AD958D5E.jpeg
    E0FE27CC-61DC-407D-BC4C-CB82AD958D5E.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 98EB2A89-9AA3-4B58-BE37-5218723B4172.jpeg
    98EB2A89-9AA3-4B58-BE37-5218723B4172.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 54
They look very similar insofar as every Tengwar text looks similar. I can tell you with absolut certainty that the circular text is the ring inscription in black speech. If you compare the signs you will see that they do not spell out the same text.

(Also, just so you are aware, in the line "from ashes a fire shall be woken" I included a flourish at the beginning and end of the line. It's purely decorative and you can leave it off if you want)
 
Comparing the first parts of both inscriptions:
View attachment 14575
Ok good deal, I appreciate it - this definitely makes things clearer to the unpracticed eye.

I'm not sure if this is against any rules/guidelines, but is there any way you might be able to post the correctly translated lines so that I can copy/paste them and form them into a circle? It is very important to me to get this right, and if I can get the correct translation into a circular design around Narsil that's 80% of the battle for me.
 

Today's events

Back
Top